F1 vs. DCT vs. F12 tranmissions | FerrariChat

F1 vs. DCT vs. F12 tranmissions

Discussion in '612/599' started by FPFaeth, Feb 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Hi -- can someone explain to me how the F1 transmission in my 599 works and how that differs from a true DCT and the transmission in the F12 (which I understand has wet clutches)? Thank you. Frank

2. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #2 BJJ, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    The F1 is a simple conventional gearbox, wherein shifting is sequential and not "free". You will know this from older race cars, where the manual shifter needed to be pushed forward for "down" and pulled backwards for "up" (and sometimes the other way around). Very similar with motorcycle gearboxes. Shifting is always in one increment only, never more. The actual gearsets in a sequential gearbox are just like in any other "normal" manual gearbox.

The "improvement" over these classical sequential gearboxes is that the clutch pedal and the shifter are replaced by hydraulic actuators located directly at the gearbox and clutch, which are activated by an electronic system and in response to throttle position, engine and speed parameters (among others), and, of course, to your action with the paddles for up and down. Unfortunately the electronics overrides your paddle actions, if the programmer believes that your choice is inapproriate, e.g. you cannot shift into 6th at speeds below about 55 km/h, and in particular if the coolant temperature has not yet reached a minimum value. Or if the software believes that you have died. It goes to neutral, if you are standing without pressing the brake pedal for a preset time.

The main difference to classical "H" car gearboxes is the actuation, in any sequential gearbox you cannot shift in higher steps than 1 at a time, whereas the "normal" car gearbox allows you to shift directly from e.g. the first into the third gear (what I typically do with the 550 in normal city traffic, 1-3-5 ;)).

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thank you. Frank

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I wonder if I misunderstood your question. I don't think the DCT in the F12 uses "wet" clutches in the sense a system like Mercedes automated manual does.

5. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I don't believe this is true for the F1 transmission (as in OP's 599). The F1 is an H-pattern box with actuators. The paddles and software make it sequential, but the box itself is not a sequential box like a motorcycle. Other than the actuators, the box is identical to the fully-manual version of the same transmission, i.e., an H-pattern box.

A DCT, on the other hand, is a pair of true sequential boxes.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is correct

7. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1. F1s are non sequential

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All the dual clutch transmissions use wet clutches in basically an oil bath. The 599 confuses some people because it has a twin disc, dry clutch, like the F430 and early 348, and some think twin disc clutch = dual clutch transmission. Not true.

As mentioned earlier, the F1 system is a manual transmission, same transmission as the three pedal Ferraris, with electro-hydraulic actuation of the gear shift and clutch actuation. Not only are the transmissions identical on F1 and 3 pedal Ferraris of the same model, but so are the clutch and throw-out bearing. T/O bearing seals on F1 and 3 pedal Ferraris differ only because F1 T/O bearings use synthetic ATF for actuation and 3 pedals use brake fluid for actuation.

9. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
  10. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    This is interesting. What an effort to "automatize" a conventional H manual gearbox. Thanks for the correction.

I though that this had been derived from racing, but apparently not ... :D

Cheers, Bernhard

11. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Terry -- and in the 'dual clutch' transmissions, aren't there truly two clutch mechanisms, pressure plates and all? Thanks. Frank

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Frank- There are two metal to metal clutches (that is why you need an oil bath) so the system can act like the old Wilson pre-selector gearboxes. If you are going up through the box, the system can preselect the next gear with the 2nd clutch and the shift then takes very little time. If you deviate from the sequence and go to a downshift, the next shift can actually be slower than an F1 box.

13. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    We are showing our knowledge of old cars using the Wilson pre-selector analogy! Something old is new again. Thanks, as always. Frank

14. uchiha

uchiha Rookie

May 13, 2008
    Surely this means a manual conversion is a real possibility. It would mean de-robotising, adding a stick and and extra pedal, plus some hydraulics

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Technically possible and has been done with the 360 using a mix of new and used parts, but very difficult on a 599. All the parts would be very expensive, if even available, and installation costs would eat your lunch.

There were over 4000 3 pedal 360s, but very few 3 pedal 599s, so no used parts available.

Plus eventually, it would be just a conversion, and worth a fraction of what an original costs.