Help with lost 599 key | FerrariChat

Help with lost 599 key

Discussion in '612/599' started by Bwclark, Apr 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bwclark

Bwclark Rookie

Oct 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Barry clark
    Hey all,

I was moving cars around and somehow lost one of my 599 keys, and I am giving up on finding it. Believe me I have looked. I feel like I just lit $1000 on fire and watched it burn.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge and/or send me in the best direction to get a replacement?

I see keys on eBay for ~$550, but they look like they are already cut? Trying to educate myself before I head to the dealer.

Thanks,

Barry

2. bonalonio

bonalonio Rookie

Nov 27, 2015
    #2 bonalonio, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Your only choice is to buy it from dealer and pay to have it programmed. I have investigated all other options and none exists. It sucks but it is the truth. You can't even buy from Eurospares overseas because it requires title, etc from the country you are ordering from.

Plan on $700 for key plus an hour to program. And you will need your other key at the time of programming.

4. Bwclark

Bwclark Rookie

Oct 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Barry clark
    Let me know if you do find one. So, about $1000, which is what I figured. I'll never get upset with my wife for losing her keys again.

Well, that's a damper on the weekend.

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Barry -- see PM I sent. I have a key that might work. Frank

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #6 trygve11, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    There's no way a key works for your car unless it was actually manufactured for your particular model and year. The key has a security "glass tube" in it that must spec'd within the range of your car's make and model. And (of course) in addition your key must be cut to match your ignition switch.

Well, cutting the key is easy enough. Any locksmith will match your existing key for $25. But, you need that particular glass security chip or you are out of luck.

I tried taking the chip from a Maserati QP of the same year. And having that key cut (from generic blank) to match my 612. Upon a programming attempt with the SD3/4/Lenoardo, it failed. It failed because the chip doesn't match up to range that must be spec'd for the 612 of that year. So, I was forced to buy a key from Ferrari USA.

Only other work-around is to cut a duplicate and then use the emergency start procedure if you ever lost your remaining original key. You could get the car started (with a significant hassle and your electronic code available) with any key cut to match your ignition that way. It would just take ten minutes every time you wanted to start your car.

So my extra $1000 key is sitting about 1.5 ft. to my left in a drawer and has not been (and likely will never be) used. But at least it is there if I ever need it!

You should know that if you lose all your keys, you can still program a new key (or several) as long as you have your electronic code. You do NOT need to have at least one working key laying around. That being said, it is cheaper to buy the whole lock and ignition set new with two keys (and a new electronic code) than it is to buy two new keys a la carte.

Fun...

7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Jason -- so you are saying that my extra 599 key, which has not been programmed as far as I know, would not work in another 2007 599, if properly programmed? The 'cuts' I've seen all look the same to the naked eye -- are they indeed different? Thanks. Frank

8. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I think the chip portion would work for the same model and year (and perhaps multiple years). But the teeth portion would almost certainly be different.

9. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    At the end of the day, you really end up having to go get this thing from the dealer. I've explored and other possibility and it is a dead end.

10. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks. Frank

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Over here, [ uk] some car insurance companies cover for lost keys with no loss of discount, is it the same in the usa, or maybe you could claim on your house insurance?

12. Bwclark

Bwclark Rookie

Oct 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Barry clark
    Sorry for the late response, I've been out of town. Thanks for all the guidance. Even insurance, with the deductible, is not an option. I guess I will put on my big boy pants and go to the dealer. Ugh.