599 rising in value? | FerrariChat

599 rising in value?

Discussion in '612/599' started by BJJ, Apr 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I occassionally look at (European) prices at mobile.de and it seems that the 599 has risen in asking prices at least (!) by 40%, compared with two years ago. I compared cars in the milage range of 30k to 40k km, irrespective of the build year. Price range seems to be between 127k and 150k € for non-HGTE cars. I feel that this tendency is unbroken until today.

How do you see that?

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: One would need to make and sell a lot of pizzas in order to earn 40k € after taxes (car sales profits by private partys are not taxed here ..... yet)

2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I too have observed this trend and it makes sense given how much 550 and 575 have risen in the past couple of years.
    Interestingly, out here in North America 599s are actually still depreciating and have started going below $150K for early high mileage cars and around $200K for late model HGTE cars.
    In contrast 599s depreciated a lot faster and further in the EU and after hitting around 100K for higher milleage HGTE cars are now on their way up. At least the ask is. I have noticed that not many cars have sold in the past six months at these elevated prices.

3. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Not here in America.

4. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #4 bullmrkt.ian, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    That's surprising because auction results at Paris were softer than Amelia, Scottsdale, and Pebble. Comparable F40's sold for 27% less in Paris than in Scottsdale just a couple weeks prior. Then recently a near-perfect condition 24k mile 2010 non-HGTE 599 took almost 6 months to sell at something around $155k USD—I drove it and seriously considered it.

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Would it make sense that EU would be softer than North America on all exotic vehicles with their economy hitting a lot of bumbs in the road? Not that the US economy is strong but much better than EU.

6. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
  7. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #7 BJJ, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Well, I disregarded offers from the near east, simply because the VAT and customs to add upon import into the EU/Germany are around 30%, with shipping costs adding even further. Without shipping this car from Qatar will cost in total after import about 106k€, so with shipping and eventual modifications for registration about 110k€. And the milage is above the range I had looked at for the opening post.

The "problem" in Germany presently seems to be what to do with money. Interests are zero, some banks are even introducing negative interest rates. Real property values have increased considerably and the fear might be that a bubble is being created. The European Central Bank is printing money in huge amounts and the volume of money in circulation is increasing dramatically, without achieving the desired effect (creating some inflation, avoiding deflation), by the way. It is discussed to abolish cash, in order to force all to "participate" in negative interest rates (this is not said like that, the bogus argument is to fight criminality and terrorism). It seems as if quite a number of people now place their money in exotic/classic cars due to the recent rush in this field.

If I would sell a car now (I have no intention/need anyway), I would not really know how to invest the generated money ...

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: US$ 150k are 132k €, that would have been considered excessive here, two years ago. Indeed the depreciation seemed to have been much steeper in the EU than in the US. And now the curves might be crossing, but with different directions, here with positive slope.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interest rates are negative in europe so rather than paying the bank to keep you money "safe" some people will opt to own hard assets, actually bidding prices higher. the world is a very messed up place right now. who knows.

9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Bernhard

Although i bought my 599 last august, i observe the market at the 2 known german/european internet sites regularly 2-3 times per week.
    Everytime i check the offers, i'm confirmed in my 599.
    Right color outside and inside, right options, right condition AND right price.

Perhaps 9 months earlier, i would have got a better price like you have got, but that's life and when i see what they want to get now, i can be happy.

Since last summer minimum + 20.000 € in the average.

Daniel

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When the Europeans start bidding up tulip bulbs, lookout! :D

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  12. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I nevertheless prefer to stick with cars rather than tulips, cars are more fun at least :D

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Everything Ferrari related seems to have bottomed out and is heading up
    Seems like a crazy market can't make heads or tails of it :confused:

14. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    In the USA, as I see it, prices are still going down on the 599. I've been watching them closely for the last year and they've seemed to slip about $10K in the last year. Cars that were in the mid $150's last year are in the mid $140's now. Notice, I've been only watching the lower priced cars since that was my price range. Don't know anything about the late year or extremely low mileage ones. Totally my observation and nothing scientific.

15. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    In the uk they are up +£20k since last year.

16. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    US prices seem to be up $20-30K.

17. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    If it's true prices are up , why hasn't anyone jumped on my HGTE at $190k ? Dealer asking prices are anywhere from $205k to $250k for HGTE... I don't believe prices are up, I think it depends where you are in the world...

18. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    As a statistic your price range is correct.

19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Valid question. I think the case for Canadian cars is unique. Two factors are at play - demand and forex.

The combination of small domestic demand and tempered US demand due to real and/or perceived trepidation related to non-US residing cars (dot conversions, paperwork/legality issues, borders, horror stories, etc) gives you small pond to play in as a seller of a $200K "used" car in Canada.

To further exacerbate the situation, your biggest potential demand - US buyers - have had the USD weaken against CAD considerably and consistently since January, making the proposition even less enticing. I know your ask has been in USD, but there's probably a psychological impact to consideration regardless.

That said, despite relatively low volume/illiquid markets for used (but still expensive) 6 year old Ferraris, I think there will be efficiency and you're price is dangerously close to being a great deal. I'm sure you have some interested lurkers waiting on the sidelines. I was actually thinking that after noticing your price drop the other day, well before this thread had even been started. If you're really motivated, I'd think about doing the heavy lifting yourself - convert to US spec, get it into the US, and consign at a top US dealer. That would eliminate your main barriers;I think a red HGTE of that caliber, mileage, and condition would sell under $190K. It's a beauty.

-Joe

20. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'll add that I think the top end of the 599 market (2010-11, HGTE and/or super low miles) has moved the least. The the bottom end (2007, miles, 3rd rate dealer, modifications) has moved up slightly more, but not dramatically, and that the middle (2008, 6-15k miles, excellent condition) has moved up very materially. I'd give those three segments weights of 5/10/85, respectively.