Official Ferrari infotainment upgrade in 612 | FerrariChat

Official Ferrari infotainment upgrade in 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by boxaw, Apr 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxaw

boxaw Rookie

May 28, 2013
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.. I have a 612 and am looking to upgrade the stereo.

May I ask has anyone here had the official Ferrari stereo upgrade fitted to their 612? I would be interested to hear any thoughts/opinions etc.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What stereo do you have in your 612 now? Early Becker or late model Bose?

3. boxaw

boxaw Rookie

May 28, 2013
    I have the early Becker; it's a 2006. Not sure that makes a difference though as the just remove the CD holder to put the double DIN unit in..

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would not recommend the 2-DIN replacement for the the Gen 1 612 with Becker units. I would get the 1 DIN replacement instead and keep the cool looking CD magazine cover.

For 612s with the Bose system, I would go with the 2-DIN replacement model.

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Why would you want to replace the Bose system? Works fine. Bluetooth audio is very simple to add.

6. aintveen

aintveen Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Duesseldorf/Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Intveen
    Hi Don/All,

how can Bluetooth be added to the Bose in a 612? Is it DIY?

Regards,

Andreas

Bdearmas3 likes this.
  7. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Technology in today's infotainments systems far exceed those of that era. Regardless, if your happy, then change is not necessary.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you have the iPod adapter (which is in the glove compartment), you buy this:

Amazon.com: Bovee ViseeO WMA1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for in car iPod Integration: Cell Phones & Accessories

Plug it in, and follow the directions. Works great!

If you don't have the iPod adapter, I'm not sure what you do, but I think there is probably a solution of some sort.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just curious, what features would you like to have that the Bose doesn't?

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I don't have the Bose in my 612, so I am not that familiar with it. My car is a 2007 that did not have the Bose option.

I'm just going by simple logic that these systems have improved quite dramatically over the past 10 years.

11. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    What 1 DIN factory replacement?

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm not so convinced about that. Some things have improved, like screens and traffic aware navigation. But the Bose was pretty advanced for it's time, and has features that my 2015 Tesla doesn't have-- like internal music storage, for instance.

The things that modern systems can do that the Bose can't, in my opinion, are limited to bluetooth audio (easily fixed, see above), internet-based music (Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn), and traffic-aware navigation.

None of these are issues for me, since I use Waze for navigation, and can listen to Pandora or TuneIn from my phone over bluetooth audio. And, frankly, I wouldn't pay for another data subscription for the 612 anyway.

Incidentally, my 2014 Porsche has none of those features, but then it's a pretty basic system-- no navigation at all.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  14. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Getting rid of the 1 DIN is a must. It was a day 2 operation when I re-built my 2006 612. Why would you ever keep that? Said differently, then why not retrofit the Bose with the Din ! Becker?!

15. feiss

feiss Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Bologna Italy
    Full Name:
    Carlo Faccioli
    From Italy Bologna : CLARION GENUINE FERRARI REPLACEMENT !!!

16. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Still on my to do list, but a little hesitant to change my manual 612 to a non stock item, even from the factory as it has now reached some sort of "collectible" aura...

17. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    if you keep the stock one no one is going to care since you can easily return it to original. if you are actively driving it, I'd say why not

18. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I bought same Clarion unit without the Ferrari branding. My 612 had the original Becker 1 DIN unit. It was fairly straightforward to replace. Since I also installed front and rear cameras, I had to do a bit more additional splicing. The unit with all the cables was quite a tight fit in the end. Functionality is a million times better.

19. LosGatos

LosGatos Rookie

Apr 24, 2016
    Los Gatos, CA USA
    Full Name:
    John Hall
    My local dealer is having an issue fitting the upgraded infotainment system into the 2008 612, replacing the Bose head. It looks like the supporting bracket does not fit? Has anybody installed this system directly from Ferrari into a 612?

20. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    #20 Dutchman, May 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LimoParty likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id even consider doing this in my OTO - the oem is so darn cumbersome and unintuitive.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree. If I didn't have the manual I'd be lost trying to operate the thing.

23. jr612

jr612 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    This is my first post to Ferrari Chat. I had the Ferrari Clarion NX605 2 din - unit installed into my 2005 612 one week ago. I am not an Electronics expert. Comments:
    1. big improvement in sound dynamics compared with original Becker system.
    2. Loaded ~40 albums onto a 16Gb micro SD card...works great ..though no album art
    3. Interface loads quite slowly on start up
    4. GPS/navigation works well but can be hard to see if bright light/sun shining towards dash
    5. I updated the navigation micro SD card using Clarion's Naviextras website. Was straight forward however massive mapping update took over an hour to download.
    6. Bluetooth linking with my android phone and music streaming is straight forward.
    7. The USB connection allows for continuous phone charging.
    8. 'Smart Access' to navigate, send text messages works but with some delay.
    9. On the downside the rear camera Ferrari provided does not allow for grid calibration which is annoying. Ferrari tech is looking for a fix.
    One week out those are my observations. On balance the unit is a big improvement from the Becker however I have no other comparison.

24. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Nice! Good first post and welcome to the forum! Can I ask what the unit + install went for? There are several thinking about it. Wish we had an apple carplay option

25. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    And could we see a few pics please?