GTO Tyres | FerrariChat

GTO Tyres

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Apr 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Has anyone experimented with anything other then Michelin Pilot Supersports. I am wondering if the Pilot Cup 2 tyres as fitted to the Speciale are available in GTO sizes.

For some reason its almost impossible to get Pilot Supersports here in South Africa. Apparently not stock which is quite hard to believe.

2. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I thought that John360 (probably stating his "call sign" incorrectly) had tried out different rubber on his GTO. I've been thinking about the newer Cup 2 vs. Trofeo R tires. Since I pretty much only drive her in the dry (and even then I get minimal traction until the rubber is super heated and sticky) I figure that 1 of these 2 newer tires will work just fine (assuming they will fit).

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    The only tires I can find to fit a 599 GTO are Pirelli and Michelin and only in one series.

Once again, they are hard to get, Pirelli fronts are available, rears are back ordered. Michelin, rears are available, fronts are back ordered. I need tires but I am stuck waiting for a complete set, I have had both Pirelli and Michelin, I prefer the Pirelli's...

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Much the same situation here. Which Pirelli's are you using?

5. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Maybe when the new F12 TDF P Zero Corsa become available in 275 and 315 they would be the best option?

6. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I thought that the GTO tires (at least in the front) were wider than the TDF's (285 vs. 275) ?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stephen- They are. 285/30 20 for the GTO and 275/35 20 for the TDF. Same size rears.

8. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Thanks Taz. So the GTO fronts are wider and lower profile than the TDF ? I need a lesson on tire sizes !

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, they really worked hard to take out the understeer on the GTO. The hype on needing 4 wheel steering to make the F12 TDF work with the wider front 275/35 tires was just marketing blather. Note the new Lusso has 4 wheel steering, too, so Ferrari just needed an excuse to introduce it on the TDF. You can bet the F12M or whatever they call her will have 4WS, too.

10. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Not sure why Ferrari didn't do wider front tires on the TDF (considering that the GTO is a 5 year older model). Aren't the 2014 Z28 models front Trofeo R's wider than both the TDF and the GTO ?

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Interesting question because if we accept the TDF has a slightly shorter wheelbase than the GTO and the TDF was deemed to be too twitchy with such wide tyres which was apparently the reason for 4WS are they perhaps admitting the GTO has a very aggressive set up.

Time does nothing to diminish the ferocity that is the GTO experience.

12. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Seems as if Tire Rack has only 2 options:

1. OEM Michelin Pilot SS
    2. Pirelli P Zero

What about the modern stuff (as mentioned above) ? Pirelli Trofeo R vs. Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires ? Has anybody compared the Sport Cup 2 to the Trofeo R's on their GTO ? I recall (as stated above) that Johns360 (from Malaysia or Thailand ???) had gone through a slew of different rubber on his GTO to obtain the maximum performance in all weather conditions (though primarily dry conditions) ? Wheres Johns360 when we need him (lol) ? I am definitely getting close to needing fresh rubber and if the OEM rubber is backordered and my only pragmatic choice I might as well order a fresh set now.