599 wheels, torque | FerrariChat

599 wheels, torque

Discussion in '612/599' started by BJJ, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #1 BJJ, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Hi All,

I did a search here and did not find this information, hopefully this is not due to my lesser search abilities ...

The manual describes fitting of the spare wheel and that THIS shall be torqued to 100 Nm. Is this value also correct for the regular wheels? Mine are the challenge style wheels (20´´ front and rear). I for the time being torqued them to 105 Nm, which cannot be too far off.

Aside this the manual confuses me. On one hand it is stated that the mating conical faces of bolts/wheels shall not be lubricated. On the other hand it is stated that under no circumstances "aggressive" cleaners shall be used for these faces, because otherwise the "seizure protection" (literal translation from German) is removed. I would have supposed that "seizure protection" is e.g. copper paste, which I would believe to qualify as an lubricant. I wiped the wheel coni out with a soft rug and did not apply copper paste (I never do at this place on other cars).

Finally, I put some (very thin film!) copper paste onto the cylindical part of the hub onto which the wheels go. It seems that at least someone else did this before as well at some juncture.

I generally do not let my local tire guy take off and mount the wheels, but take the car onto my lift and bring him the wheels (with all my cars). This allows me to take a look around the wheel wells and clean all mating surfaces (and the calipers). And to apply copper paste whereever I believe it appropriate. And in case of the 599 it would be my own fault, if I damage a ceramic brake disc upon handling the heavy wheels .....

Cheers, Bernhard

2. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    So, I managed to talk to the service director of Ferrari here (Ralf Brandt, Ferrari Berlin, Riller & Schnauck), he kindly looked it up in the service bulletins and just called back.

100 Nm is correct for the regular wheels also.

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: I did not steal his time with an attempt to discuss the "seizure protection" issue :D.

3. lagunmx

lagunmx Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    I always use 120 n/m which is what my dealer recomends. By the way, my mechanic at Ferrari Madrid has won the Ferrari Factory Mechanics Global contest once and has been in the top 3 several times ... so he should know what he is talking about.

Best

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, most of the pros use higher than the 74 lb-ft recommended by Ferrari.

5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Yep. 74 ft-lb is too low.

6. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    ok Taz but why would Ferrari recommend 100Nm?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Olivier- Beats me. Has been that way for decades. Possibly they got wheel bolt hole cracking at a higher torque on a model or two and settled on a lower number. 550 magnesium wheel bolt holes cracked even at 74 lb-ft. Caused a recall.

8. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks All, for the thoughts.

On my daily driver I torque to about 120 Nm also. But the alloys used are quite cheap.

Did anyone experience (or hear of) adverse effects of torquing the 599 wheels to 100 Nm only? Did anyone indeed discover a loose bolt after some time? I checked after about 200 km now and all bolts are still tight.

Cheers, Bernhard