Any Tips for a First-time Ferrari Buyer? | FerrariChat

Any Tips for a First-time Ferrari Buyer?

Discussion in '612/599' started by TyWebb, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Rookie

May 11, 2016
    Hello all!

I'm interested in a 2006 612 and wondered about a few things that I was hoping other 612 owners could help me with.

A) The specific vehicle I'm looking at has 5900 miles on it, that's less than 600 per year. Does this mean I should plan on investing in anything that was made of rubber on the car due to dry rot? My wife has a little convertible that we stored for five years while living abroad and had to have the car gone over with a fine tooth comb to replace all the rubber O-rings and gaskets, as well as, the tires when we returned.

B) The headliner of the car may or may not have fallen. It is bulbous, but, with weight behind the leather. I thought perhaps the interior of the roof has additional padding. I felt it and while I didn't push with all my might, it seemed weighty, rather than light, like what leather delaminated from the roof would feel like. If it has come apart, what should I expect to pay to have this issue resolved?

C) Every old article I can find on this car says it's a great grand tourer. While I doubt I'll ever get to a track with it, what is the verdict for those who've owned there 612 for a number of years? Are they reliable? Are they as fussy as many other models of Ferrari's have a reputation of (or perception) of being?

D) I love, love, LOVE this car because it doesn't flaunt in your face that it's a Ferrari like so many others, is there another GT Ferrari I should be considering as well?

I hope to get some much needed feedback from some of you veterans of Italian sports cars!

2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin

3. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I had a 2004 612, but this was purchased as Ferrari approved so had been through a number of checks and servicing. First year didn't give me any trouble, but second year, parts such as ball joints started to wear and needed replacement.

The car never failed to start up or get me from A to B. Ferraris from the 360 onwards gained a massive leap in reliability.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Rookie

May 11, 2016
    Thanks for replying with some insight into the 612, did your headliner have a padded slope downward?

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A) Do you have the service records to prove it's been driven consistently? 600 miles a year is barely enough to be healthy but worse if it's sat for a few years a couple of time. Could need new tires from dry rot. May never have had a belt service. What do you know about the car?

B) Headliner has fallen. Happens.

C) Yes, the 612 is very reliable. But you have your pain points, mostly materials problems. In addition to checking all the rubber as you mentioned, including tires, you could need a major. At that age you could have the receding leather dash, sticky buttons, carefully check the window switches and side mirror control. They can break easily. Check the reverse lever is good. The dash LCD can need remanufacture at a point, but that's rarer. These all could be fine, but you should check. Nothing is cheap to fix except the stickies. I can't think of anything else you should be concerned about that that mileage. Others may.

D) 599 is a fantastic car. In terms of maintenance though I'd be a little more leary of the 599 than the 612 for the radiator, shocks and the unlikely potential of chipping a ceramic rotor. Who needs CCB's anyway :D These aren't a reason to avoid the 599, but things to be aware of. OTOH, no belt service, which is nice.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Rookie

May 11, 2016
    Piper, thanks for the detailed feedback.
    The car has had three owners, the first drove it about 1,500 miles per year for two years; the second owner had it 4 months and the odometer reading was only about 200 miles more than when it had been purchased from the original owner, the third owner had it the longest and averaged 400 miles per year.
    The car has never had a major service.
    The dash and buttons are good! I didn't check the mirrors though.
    I have talked to a local, independent, exotic mechanic in my area about hiring him to give the car a once-over and a test drive. My hope is, is that he can check the rubber (among other things) and give me an educated opinion on the car.
    Where do I get the headliner repaired?
    I LOVE the 599, but, I've heard horror stories of the expense to replace items such as shocks. So much so, I fear that even a 599 in my price range, would ultimately prove to expensive for me.

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I'm a few weeks into 599 ownership and love it.

The one tip I would state is reject your impulses and take your time. I spent quite some time negotiating on the price.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The repairs on the 599 are reasonable if you look at the original stickers, but for us mere mortals who pick them up at a third original sticker, they can give us pause. On the cheap, the shocks cost about $2k a corner to R&R, and it's not if but when. But hey, I just did upper and lower control arms on my Cayenne Turbo S at $1k a side which would make your average honda driver run screaming into the night. All relative. Sounds like you're going to need to spend a little to get this 612 in shape though. I think any competent interior shop can handle the head liner. If it hasn't had even a belt service prior, have them examine the cam seals when they have the belts off and if they're not leaking, leave 'em alone. But you're going to want to clean your fuel injectors, replace the plugs, do a proper annual, change all fluids.

Have your guy check for leaks on the power train as well. I had a leak at the actuator on mine that was like a $10 gasket and $2k in labor to get to it.

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If it never had a major I would get it done before driving it. Timing belts are 5 years past due... With all that sitting it likely needs the cam seals as well - an inspection will tell you if they are weeping. Tires may be due too. I wouldn't worry too much about the low miles.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I seem to recall that old belts are particularly dangerous on cars that have been sitting.

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My preference would be for the HGTS or HGTC for that year, if available.

Issues to look for are ball joints, window switches, reverse F1 lever, leather dash shrinkage.

Otherwise, a very good Ferrari to enjoy.

Make sure you get a PPI and good luck!

12. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    599 is different engine with maintenance free chain driving the cams. I have had three V12's now and they do need driving regularly but few are. In my experience they present big bills every two or so years which is why so many wannabes move em on and / or defer maintenance. If you can afford to run re-commsioned it and run it and service it as intended you shouldn't have any bother. I had the predecessor (456MGT) which was a fantastic car in manual spec but ultimately I went to a 599 instead of the 612.

13. TyWebb

TyWebb Rookie

May 11, 2016
    Cheers to all for the feedback! It's made me question if I should be looking at a 2008 model with similar mileage as it'll have been driven more annually and have sat in a garage a little less.

14. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    2008 will be more money and at the same mileage will still have sat a lot and need going through.

15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #15 randkin, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    I spent about 15 months looking for a 612 or 599 and finally settled on a 612. While going through the process I just missed by days or hours three different 612s which I would have made offers and is why the process took so long. But that turned out to be a blessing as two of the 612s were gen I cars and after doing all my research I found that what I really wanted was a gen II car. The OTO cars are IMHO a significant step up in a wide range of changes. There are several threads here that go into all the nuances of the differences so no need to do a repetition here. The OTO cars usually have build dates of mid 2008 or later but some 2008s are not OTO cars (glass roof and magenitto on the wheel are the easy things to check for).

I got my 08 with 5,500 on the clock but from a Ferrari dealer who did all the service updates prior to the sale so it was ready to go. It sounds like the car you are looking at may need quite a bit of TLC so be sure that you get a PPI and cost estimate to bring all the service to current. That can an obvious negotiating point.

If you can try to drive both a gen I and a gen II 612 OTO to be sure you are happy with your final selection as there will be a significant difference between the different generations of the model. I really love my 08 612 OTO and have about 8,000 on the clock currently after owning it since August of 2015.

Good luck and yes the hunting is a fun part of the ownership experience.

16. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Don't know if I'm saying this correctly or not, but if you think you will worry about maintenance costs, don't buy any Ferrari. While owning and driving a Ferrari is an extreme experience (I have a 550 and a 599), you never want to be car poor. Life may be short, but financial anxiety is a whole other world. When I raced cars, the adage was: buy one you can afford to fix if it breaks or you crash it. Good advice too for buying any Ferrari. Frank