buying a 612 | FerrariChat

buying a 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, May 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    #1 swiss612, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HI all, I am new on forum and read with attention all past stories
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 612 in Nurburgring grey with black leather, car is from 11/2004 and has 1 owner from new with only 14 000KM ( about 10 kmiles )
    Car is immaculate comes with the big Ferrari services (belts) and new TPMS
    I negotiated the car up to 80K$
    I find this a great deal given all this.
    What do you think ? Still debating with myself about the OTO or not OTO but in the same conditions it would be 50K$ more, so not the same money
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Looks good, do it.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Gorgeous. Good price.

Robb

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    argento is beautiful - sounds like a great deal by US standards

5. Macula

Macula Rookie

May 3, 2011
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Tremendous value and a great deal at 80K assuming it checks out on a PPI.

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very low miles and the price is impressively low.

Get a thorough PPI and good luck.

7. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    $80k? Wow. I assume that's due to currency. That would be a $95-100k car here in the US assuming it checks out service wise. An OTO with similar specs will run you at least $150-160k here so unless you want the updates that the OTO brings (glass roof, superfast, CCBs, etc) then I would grab that car quick and drive it in good health! :D

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Go for it! Sure, the OTO is better in some respects but you can't go wrong with this car as you described it. You may even find you get to drive it for next to nothing for a couple of years, just the cost of maintenance.

9. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I did it!!!!
    thanks for all your advice
    Will be posting you when it's delivered in 2 weeks

10. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    By the way, what is usually checked in the ppi, the Ferrari dealer makes the big service and they already listed items that need to be fixed
    I guess I can trust them, what do you think

11. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Congrats on the purchase. Seems like a great deal!! Looks lovely!

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I went through the same quandary when I got my 612. There were two Gen I cars which were exceptional deals with the performance package I would have purchased but was late on both. I think one main thing which turned me to the OTO car was the transmission, living in Southern CA traffic is an issue. I never knowingly take the 612 when I expect traffic but some times you just get caught. One owner I talked to who uses it as a daily driver replaced the clutch at 28,000 miles. Not sure what kind of driver he is but I assume it was due to using in heavy traffic since he does not track the car. If traffic is not an issue for your use the early cars would seem to be a deal.
    That said I do enjoy the extra equipment/option of the OTO car as I plan having the car for a while.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Early 612s have the same clutch as the 456, 550 and 575. Normally they wear pretty well. My F1 575M with ~24,000 miles was 38.7% worn at its annual last week. That works out to needing a replacement at 62,000 miles.

14. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I have seen that 612 a few times in that show room...nice one.
    My mate liked that one more than the other black OTO. Go figure :)

15. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Yes the black oto one looked great but 50 k$ more 2 owners and more km... A different car...I was looking for ultra low mileage and cosmetic perfection which the grey one had
    I have seen 5 612 in total in different places in Switzerland and 3 were far from perfect with potentially lots of money to be invested, clearly unloved cars but that taught me what I needed to look at, dashboard shrinkage, plastic part around wipers axles cracked by sun light, sticky interior plastics, corroded engine due to winter driving, damaged leather , paint , worn out brakes, original exhaust... Not even talking about the mechanical part. One of the cars had 65kmiles, it needed a lot of cosmetic fixes, but I was glad to see that this car can take it, I probably get there in 20 years :)

16. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Hi Swiss612. How are you getting on with your 612? Hope all is going well. Looks a beautiful car.

I have been watching the 612 market here in Switzerland for about 18 months and was even keeping an eye on the car you ended up buying as it is my local Ferrari dealer. However I was not ready to buy at that time.

But I'm I am about to start looking seriously now. I would love to hear more about your experiences of the cars for sale here and the buying process. I too have been a Porsche nut having owned a fair number of 911s in the past includes 2 x 964RS which I obviously regret selling! However now that boat has sailed and I fancy something different.

I tried to PM you cannot seem to find an option for that. I am also Canton Zurich I guess we are neighbours!

Best wishes, Jeremy

17. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Same neighbourhood and dealer so thought I would chip in. I'm liking my 612 more and more but the petrol smell is really taking a long time to solve. If you're considering buying one then the replacement of the fuel pumps is one of the first questions I would ask.

18. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    #18 HKS479, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks for chipping in! Do you still have the problem with the petrol smell?

That is a beautiful combination you have, did you get it here in Switz? I never saw that for sale.

Where was the black car you drove? Is it still for sale? Need to avoid.

Hopefully I will join the ranks in Canton Zurich.

19. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Yes, still have the problem but will drive the car until the end of the season and then leave it with dealer to sort out. Definitely worse with a full tank so that must mean something.
    My car was bought in CH although originally ordered and purchased in Paris. It has a definite Cote d'azur vibe.
    The black OTO is still for sale at the Zug dealer last I looked but it needs a lot of love or money to get it back to a good standard.
    If you're interested this car looks fantastic in the flesh and was originally ordered by an Fchat member FERRARI 612 F1, Occasion, Benzin, 19'000 km, CHF 118'000.-

20. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi Giani, I think the black OTO is gone, I dont see it anymore on autoscout, but why did you say it needed money to get in good standard, it looked immaculate... dealer said the same to me though, said it was not perfect...
    Did you see the OTO in Geneva for 99KCHF, a bargain in perfect color combination...

21. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I think that brown car looks stunning and a really nice spec but there is the whole 'you bought a brown Ferrari??' thing to deal with. I will definitely check it out though. Do you know if this was a swiss delivered car?

I thought that black OTO looked fantastic too. Just shows that you really need to get under the skin of a car to make sure its right.

And what about that Grigio Silverstone OTO in Geneva? Great price but is there a story there?

You both bought quite low mileage cars, now that you have had them for a little while what is your view on this? Do you think its better to pick up something with as little use as possible or go for a regular driver with slightly more miles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    You're right, I don't see it anymore either. Couple of nice ones available at the moment for sensible prices though, in particular the silver with blue interior in Lugano.
    The Black car, if we're talking about the same one, had worn leather seat trim and generally drove like it needed a proper service. To be fair that was my first drive in a 612 and it didn't smell of petrol!

23. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I definitely would not shy away from a car that's been used regularly but properly maintained.
    The Brown idea put me off as well so I never went to see it but then it turned up locally to me and it really is a very special colour in sunlight. You can find it here in the forum if you search far enough back. i think the first owner is known as "Bronze age" who went the full atelier route. Car spent some time in Lebanon in the beginning.

24. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Thanks Giani, I appreciate the link.