Manettino Failure - CST System Failure | FerrariChat

Manettino Failure - CST System Failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by bob44, May 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    I've had my 07 599 for 4 months now, and this is my first real issue. I've put on ~ 2k miles (total 27k now). After driving for an hour to visit friends yesterday morning, then driving back home around noon, just as I pulled into the driveway, the display flashed "Manettino Failure - CST System Failure". The car had driven perfectly all trip. I let it "rest" a few minutes, started it up again and got same warnings, so I shut it down for the day.

After searching Fchat for possible known problems/solutions, today I tried a "reset" as described by Taz in another thread that was similar (OP had gotten car wet, but had similar warnings on TFT):

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or at least 30 minutes.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.

This didn't resolve anything. The car still runs fine, not in "limp mode" as I saw in other posts. The manettino will not switch modes; it is defaulted to the "low grip" mode.

Anything else I can do, or does this require a trip to the dealer? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Bob, Welcome to the family!

I think you will need a dealer or experienced Ferrari independent to diagnose. My car did this when a parking sensor failed. Yep, one bad little parking sensor caused my car to go utterly bonkers. Aside from this, my speedo binnacle had an electronic failure and that also caused utter chaos. Now, despite the worry, my car never left me stranded... This is the downside of all the electronics. I hope they diagnose it quickly.

3. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    I had the same issue driving it home from Chicago last year. Stopped for a few mins at a gas station, used the rest room, got something to eat and when I came out and started it up, it was fine. Happened on two different occasions and never came back. It was in limp mode after the CST light. Might have been an overheating thing that temporarily caused a sensor to go batty. Haven't had it happen since. Weird. I did just have my thermostat replaced though, so it could have been contributing. Not sure what else I can say.

4. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks for the input. I had read some posts that mentioned parking sensors; hopefully that's all it is. I'll have to start looking for an experienced service facility; none around me that I'm aware of. Was hoping not to have to find one until my annual service was due.

5. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    I'll probably keep checking to see if the issue is still there for the next several days while I look for a proper service facility. Thanks.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I get the occasional weird error, usually just after start up. I just turn the key off, turn it back on and start again, and if there are no errors I don't worry about it.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- You may not necessarily have a Manettino failure, but could have something wrong in the ABS/stability control system that will not allow you to switch modes. Someone with an SD3 or similar system may be needed to track down the source of the problem.

8. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Check your battery voltage (with the car off) and report back.

9. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks Taz, I was hoping to hear from you. I'm trying to track down someone local to do the diagnostics (closest dealer is 150 miles south). I will mention your suggestion when I find someone or, worst case, get it to the dealer.

Bob

10. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Maybe get a new battery. I got strange warning lights--but I had the original battery.
    I changed to a new battery--all is fine so far. If you have the original battery, maybe this is the problem.

Good luck.

Ken Goldman

11. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Jason, thanks for the input. I don't have a voltmeter or a multimeter, but I can find someone who does. I'll post the results.

Bob

12. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Just to be safe, I had a new battery installed when I got the car 4 months ago, so that should not be the problem, but I will check the voltage. Thanks.

Bob

13. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    I had the same issue with my 2007 and the SD3 that Taz mentions took care of it at my local Ferrari shop (not dealer) while I waited.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Is there a good independent near you?

15. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Still looking; doesn't seem to be anyone specializing in Ferraris. Following up on a couple more leads tomorrow.

16. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    I am very happy with Universal in Glen Cove. Joe and Luigi know the cars top to bottom from Daytonas to the F12. They are great at trouble shooting which I have come to believe is an art and they are very reasonable. Angelo is knowledgeable and helpful behind the shop desk.

17. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    I guess 'time heals all wounds', at least for now. 8 days after getting these failure warnings, after multiple resets and just driving around locally every other day or so, today the warnings just went away on their own. I was having it transported to the dealer tomorrow and just checked one more time...

Hopefully won't get a recurrence.

Bob

18. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    May all problems of this nature just go away and never return.

19. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    Thanks Frank. May you get warm air when you need it :)

20. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Very happy for you but if it was me I would always be waiting for it to show up again as I hate not knowing the reason/answer.
    Not to seem like a doom and gloom person though I do hope you are in the all clear.

21. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I hope to follow your good luck streak! Frank

22. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    I had the exact same situation due to a bad parking sensor - it would also trigger an 'engine control system' failure too.

I then had a rear license plate bulb failure - that triggered similar errors.

The batteries in my TPMS system went bad - again lots of spurious error messages.

Lesson learned is when a warning arises I get it fixed ASAP

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Highly computerized systems, whether in cars or airplanes, do this. It's not at all uncommon in glass cockpit airplanes to get weird errors on start up, and fix it by turning everything off and back on again.

I think part of the issue involves the sequencing of various modules coming on line. If that gets off slightly, weird errors show up.

24. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Has anyone seen this symbol show up in the display, F430, 2009. Car will not go into "Sport" or "Race" mode, Manettino switch is in default mode "Low Grip". Error message is Suspension ECU
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Never seen on a 599. I suggest you put your post in the right section : 430 !