599 GTB: Gas cap/Trunk switch removal | FerrariChat

599 GTB: Gas cap/Trunk switch removal

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360modena2003, Jun 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I need to replace the switch, but have not be able to remove it.

It seems very firm, does anyone know how it is attached? It is just press fit?

Thank you

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm Story I can't answer your question. It's hard to tell from the photo but is the fuel button broken? We can refinish those for you in interested (and not broken). If you still wish to purchase new, I may be willing to buy your old switches.

Thank you.

Edit: each switch should come out the trim piece if you use some painters tape and a gentle pry tool. Those switches often have metal spring clips holding them in. Sometimes looking at the parts diagram gives a clue how to get them out.

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Take a look at this diagram from Ricambi INSTRUMENTS - Ricambi America, Inc.

As Dave wrote, looks to be a press fit with some clips. Painters tape and a plastic wedge should do it. In fact, from the picture, could be the separate trunk and fuel buttons pry out separately. Let us know what you find.

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Ok, great. I tried prying with some force, but did not insist as I was afraid it was attached with a screw.

Will try again.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I just tried, put a lot of force on it - used a CD until it shattered.

I am not sure what do it, it is really stuck in there.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If you want to give me a call, I'll give you some ideas. Not the easiest thing to write.

716-553-6130

7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Given the drawing, perhaps you need to remove the two buttons first, followed by the panel. Many times, when you remove one piece, it provides access to another.

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009

Sure - PM sent.

9. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    DO NOT try to force it out.

I removed it by getting access from below and pushing the individual switch upwards/

You can access it by removing the cover underneath the removal carpet - it is held on by 4 large Phillips screws.

10. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Great info. Thanks.

11. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    Yeaaaaaaaahhhh !

Thanks 360modena2003!

12. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    had the same problem!
    Very easy to solve: take out the floor mat ( it is fixed at 2 points close to the seat and 1 point "in between " the paddles.
    Than untighten the screws on the floor (it is four of them !--- the one on the lower left is visible on your pic!). Take out the metal floor.
    Than you will see 1 or 2 screws (can't remember right now!) that hold the entrance panel that is the housing for the switches. Untighten them.
    The switches are fixed with two bolt nuts (one on top and one on bottom of the switch panel).... But don't try to untighten them ! Just bend the entrance panel a little up with one hand and with the other hand try to locate the metal clasps at the bottom side of the single switches that hold the switches within the panel.
    Just press together the metal clasps on top and bottom of each switch on the bottom side and press the defective switch gently through the panel.
    If you have a new "used" switch from another F599 or F612 just replace it by going the above named stages backward.
    Good luck!
    PS: mine broke at the little plastic clasps that hold the surface of the switch in the whole switch. Up till now I didn't succeed to glue the parts... probably i need a little heat to melt it together.... for a used switch panel with both the gas cap and the trunk switch I paied on eBay 40 Euro.

Michael