Selling my 599 | FerrariChat

Selling my 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by doctorj!, Jun 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    #1 doctorj!, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After much contemplation and thinking, I have decided it is time to sell my 599. Between work, two children, and starting a small business, I have had little to no time to drive the car. As much as I hate to say it, the car has become a garage queen.

A question to members here, what is the best method to sell a car like this? I was offered by a local dealer to put it on their showroom floor and if it sells they keep 7% of the sale price. Selling privately I have concerns with security and how legit a buyer may/may not be. Any advice would be appreciated

Any questions or suggestions, please feel free to post them here!
    Thanks,
    Ankur
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    The best place, especially in regards to security, is to post here in the classifieds. Personally, I go to autotrader if it does not sell here. GLWS

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Personally, I have sold cars through my dealer. I find that they can reach more buyers and most likely get a higher price than I could on my own, and anyway it's worth it to pay them to deal with the hassle of all the looky-loos, etc.

4. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    7% seems very reasonable to me.

5. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Talk to Cats exotics. They're a forum sponsor, last I checked they had a very reasonable flat fee consignment which would be way less than 7%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    They're a bit far from NJ.

7. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#7 DXB599, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    7% seems quite reasonable to avoid all the security concerns and hassles of selling plus they will likely get more for it then you would on your own and their database of possible purchasers would be valuable as well. Pay the 7% and focus on your family and making money.

Also, I would get the annual service done. It's a huge turnoff for a potential buyer to have to immediately sink money into a new purchase. You would paint your house, get new carpet, and refinish the hardwoods before listing on the market, so follow the same logic for selling a car.

8. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

They do business nationwide, I'm pretty sure they've consigned remote cars before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Agreed and will do.

I contacted Cats Exotics as well to see if they will do a remote consignment. Otherwise will probably give it to Classic Coach.

10. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I had good results with Mike Sheehan when selling my 550 Maranello a month ago, and he's sold several very nice 599s. Fee is less than 7%.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you sell a car through Mike, and it's not at his location, don't you still have to deal with showing the car, etc?

I guess Mike is doing some pre-screening on the potential buyers, but it seems like the service he is providing is less than a dealer who takes the car onsite and does the work of showing it.

Not knocking Mike, by the way-- I've bought a car through him, and was reasonably happy with the transaction.

12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I Contacted Roy about selling my Lambo. You would have to ship him the car for him to sell. He can't do it remotely.

13. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Hi Don -- yes, you would have to provide 'showing' access. My buyer bought my Maranello sight-unseen. I had had a PPI done before the sale, which made a difference.

14. robert344@verizon.net

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2015
    Full Name:
    robert
    hi, where are you located and what are you asking for the car ? Thanks

15. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ

Emailed you Robert.

Also forgot to add the car has parking sensors and a clear bra covering the entire front, 1/3 of the hood and the side skirts.

16. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    There's my twin, right down to the options. Good luck with the sale!

17. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    7% is less than half the going rate regarding dealerships these days. That's a sweetheart offer which you should list here and let them go to work for you also.

List here for about 2 mos and if nothing happens - turn it over to the dealership. Great time to sell.

Be prepared. There are many 599's on the Mkt and they simply aren't moving at current prices. I even had to shave some off when I sold mine and if you remember - I was practically giving it away!

Best wishes..

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  19. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    It's listed in the classifieds.

20. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I wouldn't. Sell it as is. Spending money to sell it is a slippery slope.

21. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Service was done. One less thing for a potential buyer to complain about lol

22. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I think that was money well spent and gives prospective buyer added confidence car was well maintained. GLWS.

23. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A buyer will always find something to complain about..

I regret getting into the $100+k Used care world. Even if it was only 25% of my time spent in Exotics..

I should of bought a 612.. Definitely a car that was great for $100k and appreciated slightly - still is if you have a solid example..

24. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    7% is a pretty good deal actually. There are those out here charging as much as 9%. It's SOOO worth it to have someone else deal with all the hassles. GLWS. It's a stunning car.

25. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    So the car did not sell this year. I've decided to store her for the winter and try again in early spring. Hard to tell where the market is these days. It's very interesting when you change perspectives from a buyer to a seller.