Seeking tips for filling up - 612 | FerrariChat

Seeking tips for filling up - 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by ablee2323, Jun 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ablee2323

ablee2323 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015
    #1 ablee2323, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi. I have a 612 2005 F1 transmission. Love it.

But filling up takes a long ling time. The pressure needs to weak other wise it spits out gasoline. I've tried using a long spout (even worse) and holding the nozzle in almost every position and angle. I live in Seoul so it could be the way nozzles are made here.

I've seen some info about this on the web but no definitive solution. I wouldn't car so much but the way she drinks gasoline I'm back at the pump all too frequently

Any advice welcome

Thank you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The driving characteristics are a direct consequence of its drinking habits. 👍

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    u said u tried every angle - did you try upside down, a full 180 degrees - that works on some of my cars - or try a different gas station obviously

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Also, try filing it slowly.

5. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mine doesn't do that so maybe it is the nozzle. Find a station with attendant service?

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    of its a hot day, my 599 gets a vapor lock when filling, I have to start slow and after a few min's it clears. It only does this when is hot though.

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Never had that problem on any Ferrari - try different station

8. ablee2323

ablee2323 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015
    Thanks for the input. Will keep on.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've never had that issue on the 612 (my 365GT is another story).

However, there was a fuel sender issue early on in my ownership, which would cause the fuel gauge to not show the new fuel for a while, and would eventually cause computer errors. Ferrari replaced it under a campaign, though.

10. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Never had the Problem on my 612. But maybe an issue with the temperature?
    Does it just cause problems when tank is total empty?

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #11 Alden, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Something is wrong with the part of the evap control system that lets air out of the tank as you put the fuel in.

It is against the law to vent fuel vapor into the air, (in the US anyway) so it passes through a charcoal cannister to "clean" it before releasing it into the atmosphere.

We had a long argu-discussion on this a few weeks ago regarding an older model F car. I bailed on the thread because owners were insisting it was "normal" or the fault of the particular fuel station, it is not.

The evap system is complex, but simply stated, a valve has to open to let air out as you fill the tank, if the valve malfunctions, opens only partially or doesn't open at all then the pump senses the back pressure as a full tank and shuts off.

It did not leave the factory not being able to take fuel properly, fuel vapor control systems are meant to be serviced from time to time.

Simple, generic, non model or F car specific, diagram below.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login