Connect Trickle charger on 612 | FerrariChat

Connect Trickle charger on 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Jun 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi all, the manual of the 612 says that it is precabled to connect a trickle charger, if I take the battery cover I see the battery switch but there is no connection for the trickle charger
    Also, I would like to buy a Ferrari Charger but do not know which one to buy, there is a small one in a textile pouch and another one that looks like a blackbox from a 747 in a leather case
    Which one is best suited

Thanks

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Are you sure your 612 doesn't already have the plug for the battery maintainer? If you find the red kill switch in the right rear corner of the trunk, the 3/4-pin connector should be with 5-10 cm of it - as you look at the kill switch, just to the left and a little below. I would get a modern higher capacity C-tek and make the tail to fit the Ferrari plug yourself - instructions can be found in this section: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/470825-ctek-charger-failure.html
    I have made for both my 612 and 430 Scud, pretty simple.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I replaced my CTek with a different brand, after too many issues. Now I have a pigtail coming off the battery (the original factory charger port is still there).

Incidentally, I don't know if the early 612s had the factory charger, but I know the OTOs do.

One nice thing about using the factory port is that the car knows that it's plugged in, and I don't think it will let you start the engine.

4. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Looking at parts diagram online, it seems that where the plug should be I have nothing so my car was delivered without, the plug where the charger connection comes is closed with a plastic end, looks like it was done at the factory
    I will likely rebuild the connection buying the parts online

5. Melox2

Melox2 Rookie

Apr 4, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Mark warden
    Your right don ,I have the OTO and when plugged in if you try to start it a symbol comes up on the dash saying it's connected and it won't start , quite cool I think

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Early 612s were available with an optional ZIVAN charger system. If you did not buy the option, no connector was included. Later 612s (sometime in 06/07) came with a standard CTEK charger and a connector in the rear. The CTEK and ZIVAN chargers did not use the same connector. Here is where the 612 CTEK connector is located on later 612s. Those 612s fitted with the CTEK will not start with it connected.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The non start feature is really nice. Easy to forget the charger is attached, especially with the connection in the trunk. Most CTEK chargers in other cars go to the dash receptical and are easily noticeable.

8. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I have 2 options, buy the Ferrari CTek or buy the old "blackbox" style charger.
    The advantage of the old style charger is that the car is precabled for it, not sure how to connect the Ctek, is it easy, I mean you mentioned the non start feature, I guess this won't happen if I plug it on + an-

9. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I've just bought online for CHF 70 the adaptor which would let me use a standard CTEK with the trunk connector in the normal way. Haven't figured out yet if I actually need a new charger but thought the adaptor was worth getting anyway as i'm not sure how easy they will be to find in the future. If necessary I can now buy a standard CTEK instead of the Ferrari branded one which would be significantly cheaper and enables an allegedly more up to date model.

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have a 550 and can get the old big charger in the leather case locally cheap. It has a round plug which is supposed to connect somewhere. The charger came from a 2000 550, while mine is a 1999... Thanks for making this thread. I have the same "issue"...

11. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I figured out what I will do
    1) build in the round connector, found one on the net
    2) buy a "black box" type charger, I like the leather case :) and want to keep things as there were intended when the car was built

Thanks all

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    these work great - someone on fchat "invented" it if I remember correctly

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Warren was the first (not the eBay seller, although he seems claim to that) and most of us followed Warren's instructions to make them ourselves, and then... Here is a link to Warren's early findings for the 430 (that I among others followed to make my Ctek connector for the 612 and later my 430 Scud): http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/347563-yabtp-making-battery-conditioner-connected-light.html#post141102598

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I cld have sworn I followed a link from fchat to ebay when I bought mine

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    You probably did, the bay seller is an Fchat member who posted his eBay links in many threads... Warren also sold his, if I recall correctly, but never marketed it aggressively, and mostly made them for others as a favor :)

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ahh. The ones i bought were nicely done. Glad i bought a dozen of them when i did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  18. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have the correct Ferrari charger for your car, PM, I tried, but you don't accept PM's.
    Alden

19. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi Alden, strange I received PMs already from other members
    Anyway, found what I was looking for, I ordered all parts at Ferrari
    I will install the battery charging wiring and make a thread with picture
    Thanks

20. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Right, your PM's are working now, strange, good luck with your installation.
    Alden