599 GTB Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes, finally installed! | FerrariChat

599 GTB Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes, finally installed!

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360modena2003, Jun 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    #1 360modena2003, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello!

I finally received my bypass pipes and had them installed!

I opted for the "non-heat insulated" version for now. I will get my pipes covered with high temp exhaust wrap afterwards.

(NOTE: I have no commercial interest)

I will share my experience here in case of anyone here is considers them.

The pipes arrived in a huge sturdy box, I would say it overkill, but nice nonetheless.

It came together with a set of very sturdy clamps.

I dropped off the car at the workshop where I get my car serviced and the day after I picked it.

According to the mechanic it was very straightforward: removed the cover plate, some fasteners and clamps, and the two huge secondary cats came off!

The level of work and detail is great, the seats on the collars of the exhaust connectors are finely machined and the welds are very good.

The pipe itself is thick and sturdy stainless steel - I am unaware of what grade exactly.

One problem that the shop encountered is that the support plate will not fit anymore - the vendor said he will have a new laser cut plate fabricated.

For the time being I am using the car without the plate installed, as it is not structural, but eventually I will have this dealt with.

So, now for my experiences and opinions!

1. Upon the start the engine has a deeper and more open "roar" - it is noticeably louder until the flaps close! No check engine lights, as these pipes are after the o2 sensors.

2. When revving the engine from idle to 3000 rpm is sound is similar, but I do note that it does rev faster (I can send videos over whatsapp is anyone is interested), HOWEVER, over 4000rpm the engine sounds like thunder!!

For my personal taste it is a bit too loud, especially at 6000/7000 rpm!

Roadtest:

1. Inside the cabin the sound level are similar, no major difference, but if you open the windows, you can definitely hear a difference!

2. When during through tunnels, if you accelerate hard, it is close to "Lamborghini" like levels, again, may not be for everyone's liking.

3. One very pleasant surprise, is that cabin temperature has decreased, especially the in the center console area . On hot days, it would get extremely hot in slow traffic, now it just gets "warm".

4. Power/Torque: I believe I can sense more, but it is hard to say, 40/50 HP more would be hard to "feel". I also have not really given it the "full beans", but I do notice it revs more freely.

Conclusion:

1. It was not cheap, together with installation, shipping, etc. but I feel it has improved the car, especially the cabin temperature decrease warrants this modification.

2. I am not sure if I am comfortable with the noise levels, I cannot imagine what a 599 with modded manifold and exhaust would sound like. Again, this is personal taste, for those who like it louder, they should definitely consider this mod.

I was already a bit uncomfortable with the original noise levels, so I am a bit particular about this.

3. Big advantage is that everything can be easily restored back as it was, so if I ever sell my car, this would not be issue. But seeing those monstrous cats out of my car does make me feel better - they huge, heavy and produce a lot of heat!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Good motoring.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alancklaw

Alancklaw Rookie

May 29, 2016
    Which brand did you go with? Why doesn't the plate fit after installation? Anyone have any preference into the brand of bypass pipes to install?

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello, I went with Fabio's pipes.

The plate touches a bit because theses pipe are practically "straight" and do not have bends to them, this makes them sit differently.

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Touch this area, especially the metal plate when driving in stop and go traffic.

The temperature decreased significantly.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk