Tie rods on 612 | FerrariChat

Tie rods on 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Jun 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    HI all, I know this topic has been discussed before, but I expect maybe more experience to be shared given that car are getting older and more people are trying to troubleshoot themselves rather than going to the F dealer

My 612 is a first gen wtih 10Kmiles on it
    Have checked my tie rods yesterday
    _In the rear: they seem to have no play, but I did not take them out, so it is tricky to be 100% sure, I get a one time "click" when I accelerate or decelerate, I assume they starting to be worn
    _in the Front: I got some minor play in the tie rods and I also feel a clunking noise it in the steering wheel if I drive over bad road surface

I have seen that tie rod ends can be bought separately, could it be the culprit ?or do I have to change the whole thing ?

Thanks

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  3. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I was told the new ones from Ferrari are much better. Please tell me that's true!

4. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

I changed the rear tie rods on my 612 at the dealer, by original Ferrari ones and I confirm the new ones are different- appear to be much stronger.

For the front axle I don't know if there are updated versions since my car doesn't need them... For now.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

5. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Thanks, I am still trying to figure out if the clicking sound in the rear is the tie rod or just the 612 being itself, I only hear it if the windows are opened and it seems to come from both sides. sound like an electric switch, "click" when I give gas, "Click" when I lift off the pedal

6. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I felt there was something wrong because at speed the rear of the car was "steering" a little by itself.

(Now that I think about it, yes, there was some clank noise sometimes but I´m not sure if it was due to the tie rods)

If you put your car on the elevator, it is easy to diagnose the problem only by pushing the wheel by hand (on mine the play was very noticeable).

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No chance it's the brake pads? It isn't the pads if it happens just from taking your foot off the accelerator, but it would happen potentially when you give it gas and when you tap the brakes. Happens when the brake pads aren't 100% snug. I had very loose tie rods in my 612 when I first got her and I don't recall hearing any clicking. OTOH I was very gentle with her because she'd also never had a belt service at 9 years old. She went almost straight in for her major and tie rods right after I got her.