Ferrari 599 Challenge Wheels | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 Challenge Wheels

Discussion in '612/599' started by tcw, Jul 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #1 tcw, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently purchased a 599 in which the original wheels were changed out for some Forgiato Aggio ECL wheels. I go more for originality so I bought some challenge wheels, two fronts from England and two rears from the midwest, refurbished, for a total of about 1/2 the cost of what appears to be the going rate. With that savings there was bound to be some issues. Basically I am happy with both but the color of the ones from England is a little brighter. I would like to have all four match but have some questions from those of you that have a little more familiarity than I do:

1. Are these wheels painted or powder coated?
    2. My front wheels are 8" x 20" but I recently noted that there are some that are 8.5" x 20" and some that are 8" x 19" staggering the 11" x 20" rears. What is the story here?
    3. Is there a color paint code for the wheels?
    4. What tires are recommended for my size wheels?
    5. I am not sure if the lug nuts that are with the Forgiato wheels are stock and may have to buy some. I see there are several choices on the market from steel, chrome and titanium. What was original?
    6. Is there a market for the used Forgiato wheels?
    7. Is it true that the 599 wheels share sizes with the 458?

Thanks in advance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    1. Painted
    2. The Challenge wheels are 8x20 front and 11x20 rear. The 8.5x20 front wheel you saw is the HGTE wheel, and the 8x19 front wheel is the Pentagram wheel (standard wheel on the 599).
    3. Not sure. Hope someone else can chime in.
    4. Most people run the Pirelli PZero tires (245/35/20 & 305/35/20) that came stock on the car, while others (myself included) have installed Michelin SuperSports. Note that the Michelin is only available in a 315 wide rear tire, but nobody has reported any issues going up a size.
    5. Original lugs are M14 x 1.5 x 52
    6. Post them up!
    7. Not true, different sizes and different offsets.
    8. I love your XJ220!

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    PPG 36520 Argento Nurburgring/Argento Metallizzato (same color). Some were ball polished and Exoticar can do that.

4. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Thx for your thoughts. Will post some pictures of the Forgiato wheels when they get here (car in route).

5. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    Yeah piecing together wheels is scary. I needed a rear challenge for a 599 a while back and ended up buying one out of Miami as "refurbished". Our customer had gloss black wheels so he needed us to re-powder it black as it was a "OEM" silver wheel when we got it in. We stripped the silver "Perfect" looking paint in order to powder it black and found a nasty surprise. Basically half of the entire front lip had been re-welded to fill metal that had been missing. The wheel must have took one hell of a hit! When we called the seller, he basically told us his wheel guy was an artist and master craftsman at metal work and that we could trust the wheel,LOL. I said I wish you would have told us that before we purchased. These cars can approach 200MPH. We sent it back and had to struggle for a full refund. Cheaper is not always better as we all know. Be careful out there. Stick to the well known suppliers if possible. :eek:)

6. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #6 tcw, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017