auto-dimming rearview mirror question | FerrariChat

auto-dimming rearview mirror question

Discussion in '612/599' started by odf911, Jul 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I am thinking of replacing the stock rearview mirror of my 599 with the auto-dimming version. I am not sure whether the car is already equipped with the necessary wiring and if yes is it just plug and play? Thanks in advance for sharing knowledge!

2. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  3. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Well, there are cars with complete wiring and you just nail your automatic mirror where it belongs. Even if no cables beeing present: take the plus from interior light or any other battery plus from the roof panel.
    The disadvantage is that the dimming doesn't fade while reversing. When going to reverse the mirror should become clear to enhance visability. If you like to get this feature than you may need the signal from the reverse button. But that is going into a major operation I assume. So, if you have an original Ferrari mirror mount it and connect to battery plus somewhere at the roof panel. That should do it.
    The more complete solution is to bind the mirror into the car's electronic infrastructure but that is not simple and it needs probably some coding.

PS there are two Interior mirrors on eBay : One in Germany for 189 Euro and One in the US for 154,53 Euro plus Mail. Both seem to accept Price offers as well. Search for this Part no : 68976700 and Ferrari 599 Rear mirror.

Good Luck
    Michael

4. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    There are also after-market auto-dimming rearview mirrors. Some have garage door/gate opener buttons on them, so a nice to have. But must admit, the auto-dimming rearview mirror on my 599 doesn't do much. Not sure I'd invest in one.

5. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Agree.
    Other features are coming home and leaving home dimming of the interior lights and that needs coding. Not sure whether this would be worth it for me but my 599 has the dimming function.
    Another Sports Car that I own hasn't but I don't care a lot.
    So: if you keep it simple with none of these extras it is possible at an acceptable price.
    But you have to decide how much you like to have it.

Michael

6. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks for your response Michael, I have seen the ones for sale on eBay. I would not really consider swapping but the stock rear mirror in my 599 looks a bit tired so if I decide to change it, I may also upgrade it in the process!

7. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Stock Ferrari 599 mirrors are on sale on eBay for ca 90 Euro

Maybe this is an option ?
    Michael

8. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I did buy the mirror, had it installed (plugs already there) but it does not seems to work. There are two diodes in the front that don't ever light-up (not sue they are supposed to) and the mirror itself never darkens not even when I use a torch light ... any advice?

9. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Are you sure that the cables have power correctely and are properly connected?

These mirrors on normal have a front sensor to detect that sunlight fades to light up the mirror and a rear sensor that detects a bright light source from behind to darken the mirror.
    Programming the ECU maybe good for light up the mirror when reversing.
    With no Programming the ECU you probably will not have this feature but otherwise it should work. Please check the cabling !

Good luck
    Michael