slow 612 acceleration, question to owners | FerrariChat

slow 612 acceleration, question to owners

Discussion in '612/599' started by lamborarri, Aug 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    My neighbor is taking delivery of his F12 next week and trading in his 06 612. The dealer didn't really want his car and offer him a very low trade in due to the 45k high mileages. He's willing to sell it to me at the same price so I'm serious considering it.

His car is 06, 45k miles, original owner, all services up to date. I test drove the car earlier today for about 30 miles, everything runs well mechanically, didn't feel anything wrong. Very well kept car.

However, the acceleration of the car is very tame. I never drove any other 612 before. I have had F430, 430 Scuderia, 599, California, and 458. For comparison, even the sport setting in California felt much more responsive than this 612. I would say the 612 is the slowest of all Ferraris I ever driven, and yes I did try it in Sport mode and TC off. Once it revs above 4k rpm, it does pull nicely. Out of all the modern cars, i would say it's very similar like DB9 in normal mode, you would always expect it to be faster during acceleration.

Is this how 612 supposed to be? A more relax and tame GT cruiser? I really want the car, and everything already got checked out by Ferrari dealer. I'm just not very sure if the acceleration is right tho.

Thank you for your help.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What you describe is the engine operating in safe mode. When you start the engine wait about 10 seconds, watch for the engine icon to go out AND then for the "CHECK OK" to appear on the TFT display. If you don't see that, you will experience reduced power. In that case shut the ignition off and wait 30 seconds before restarting.

3. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    My 612 pulls harder than my California...

4. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015
    That's only 20 - 30 secs max during start up. I did not see any sign during driving.

Hmm, that's not my case. California revs a lot better and more responsive than this 612. I might give it one more try, probably gonna pass the deal I guess.

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Do you know if the 612 in question is a base model or HGTS / HGTC?

When I test drove the 612, I was surprised at the difference between the base and HGTS model. The later felt much more aggressive and sounded much better.

6. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015
    How to know the differences? The car has 5 spoke rims, ccm brakes, red calipers, steerling wheel does not have the knob to change mode, only Sport mode and TC off, etc. That's all I know.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If it has CCM brakes, it is an HGTC.

No way to answer your question on how it feels to you. 612s are low 12s in the quarter at ~118 mph kinds of Ferraris. They are GT tourers, not hot rods.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, you won't see any sign while you are driving. You must see the "CHECK OK" come on in the TFT approximately 10 seconds after the car starts. It doesn't stay on while you are driving. It comes on for about 2-3 seconds and then goes out.

If it's not that, there is something else definitely wrong. At Fiorano the 612 is at most 4 seconds slower than the cars you mention except for the 458.

I would stay away from it until it is sorted out in case it's an expensive repair.

9. lamborarri

Nov 15, 2015
    Drove the car again, same result. The car is pulling strong after like 3800 rpm, but the low end doesn't really feel like a modern V12 should, which suppose to have power everywhere. For example, 599, AM V12's, etc. I think I gonna pass the deal.

Interesting tho, Ferrari dealer saying that they don't sell high mileage Ferrari's, they are actually going to wholesale it regardless the condition. Didn't know that before.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That is pretty much what I found during my search for a 612. Most all the higher mileage cars were private parties or non Ferrari dealers. There were a couple of consigned cars I ran accrossed that was the exception. An occasional car that the Fdealer had originally sold and serviced had higher miles but those seemed to be gone before found them. I was looking for a higher mile OTO car but ended finding a 5,500 mile car that checked all the boxes.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I doubt there is anything wrong with that 612 that an SD3 service would not fix. She may need new cambelts and degreeing of the cams, too, if they have not been changed in the last 5 years.