599 GTB 2009 - GCC spec vs other specs? | FerrariChat

599 GTB 2009 - GCC spec vs other specs?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Adnannn, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adnannn

Adnannn Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    What are the main differences between GCC specs and other specs of Ferrari 599 GTB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Arabic language where applicable. Most GCC earlier Ferraris were originally B or Euro spec except for that. Later models have a region specific code and no clue what that includes. There was likely an Arabic owners manual for the 599, but I do not have a copy.

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Depending on the country/dealer it may have US spec side markers.

4. Adnannn

Adnannn Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    I am just wondering why it is not easy to buy GCC spec cars from UAE/Saudi/Kuwait/ Qatar/Oman , there are many decent cars there barely used and Ferrari dealer approved. Means the cars are certified and verified, even after shipping to USA or Europe it will be cheaper by more then 50K USD!!

5. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    I'm not sure there is too much difference in spec between GCC cars and elsewhere but will check with my Service Manager at Ferrari Doha when I pop in next weekend.

Buying a car here in Qatar is dead easy. I went onto QatarSale website, checked out the cars, had them independently inspected, haggled hard and put down the cash etc etc but buying a car here is not possible as an individual unless you have a Qatar ID/Residence Permit. Getting a QID/RP is impossible unless you are -

a. Obviously a Qatari national
    b. Employed and thus sponsored by a Qatar Company as your Employer

This is why prices here are artificially depressed. Small resale market, falling oil prices and a fast disappearing expat population. For those of us (lucky!!!?) to be here, deals are good and plentiful.

I plan to ship my 612 (and all my other Qatar based cars) back to the UK and then onto my house in Spain early next year. I plan to keep my cars long term and the fact I am paying less than 50% of UK prices is a nice feeling. As is the fact Spain is LHD as is Qatar.

Yes there are clear savings to be made as used Ferrari (and other high end marques)prices - I can only speak for Qatar - are considerably cheaper than Europe. These 'savings' however are dependent upon your personal circumstances, tax status and your nationality. For me as a non-resident for UK tax British passport holder, if I 'own' a car here in Doha for a minimum 6 month period then ship the car to the UK and do not sell for a minimum of a further 12 months, then I am exempted from import duties and tax. Only first registration, MOT and annual Vehicle license tax to pay. All good.

Obviously, if you do not meet the above tax criteria and are still able to purchase the vehicle, you will be liable for import tax and duty plus capital gains tax when you sell. Makes the potential savings negligible. Add on shipping and insurance and its marginal.

Also a LHD GCC import Ferrari will command a lower price than a UK spec RHD version of the same model.

The debate about the quality of GCC cars is a different matter. Yes many are v highly spec'd by the first owners but maintenance can be patchy, repairs hard to trace and many carry a history due to the sheer carnage of driving abilities on show. Qatar for example has on average 40,000 reported vehicle accidents a month. Out a population of under 3 million and it is effectively a one city State.

Personal imports from here yes I can see if you meet the required criteria and for me that's great. I hope to add a 458 or FF next year as used prices are sinking faster than the Titanic

Right place right time maybe?

6. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Right said Fred, I am based in the UAE and also plan on sending my cars to Spain afterwards.

Where abouts in Spain are you headed?

7. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Pollenca, Northern Mallorca and early retirement is the plan

Gets me through the pain of working in this ****hole

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    599s are difficult. From my research in the past there was a large differnce that would cost a large amount of money to certify the car if you could do it all. I can't remember exactly what it was... There was a year break if I remember correctly and the difference was almost structural (it wasn't, but it was almost as significant).

I have imported many cars from overseas but never a 599. They were always the most difficult/expensive. Plus ferrari would never give me a straight answer on what it would take to convert almost as if they were protecting their market on 12 cylinder cars. It felt VERY much that way

9. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Ah great - I am looking into Andalusia.

Send me your number over PM if you like and will get in touch when I am in Doha again.

10. Adnannn

Adnannn Rookie

Aug 26, 2016

I got 599 2009 less then 22k km on it. Got it check with Ferrari dealer there , the result was positive and Ferrari is offering to be Ferrari approved and extend one year warranty for 3600 USD. The car is for sale for 75K USD!!

Where did you import car to from GCC?
    How about the duty, tax and shipment costs in USD?

"Plus ferrari would never give me a straight answer on what it would take to convert ""
    To convert what exactly ? LH to RH?

T

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ultimately you need a letter from either the manufacturer or an RCI who basically garuntee or certify that the car meets all regulations.

I believe on gulf spec 599s the emissions is ok but there are Saftey items (FMVSS) that need to be addressed. So you would have to have a letter from an RCI or manufacturer stating that the car has been brought into compliance or its a no go.

If you talk to an RCI... they will tell you a miniumum of $20k and as high as $60k. When you ask them what they will be doing... they won't give you an answer. If you ask Ferrari... they will not tell you what is needed to conform as its of no interest to them, they will refer you to an RCI.

No... gulf spec cars are LHD so that conversion does not need to take place.

12. Adnannn

Adnannn Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks a lot technom3 and camp Freddie for useful information

13. Pilotguy

Pilotguy Rookie

Sep 5, 2016
    The majority of cars in GCC spec are the same as euro spec. There is always talk of better A/C systems or larger radiators. Not true at all. Having researched some of these part numbers, they are the same.
    Prices are definitely suppressed in the UAE as well. Non-current models are just not "cool" here, and the price drop can be watched when a new model is introduced.

Even with my current dd (E92 M3), the difference from US spec to GCC spec is the instrument cluster, MDM, navigation, and radio ( running odd #s vs even). You can convert all for less than $3,000.

Seriously considering a 599 here, hence why I joined and this is my first post.