Halon extinguisher 599 | FerrariChat

Halon extinguisher 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #1 glob1971, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am going to equip my Ferrari 599 with an extinguisher, i bought the sleeve an fixation but find it very hard to find the Halon extinguisher that would fit to the sleeve.

Would you know the size of the original extinguisher, and if some of you already bought Halon extinguisher for their car - what model ideally to buy.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    PS. For people who are wondering why i don't want a powder extinguisher, i recommend you to read this :

What is Halon?
    Halon is a liquefied, compressed gas that stops the spread of fire by chemically disrupting combustion. Halon 1211 (a liquid streaming agent) and Halon 1301 (a gaseous flooding agent) leave no residue and are remarkably safe for human exposure. Halon is most effective for flammable liquids and electrical fires (rated B:C) and is electrically non-conductive.

Why is Halon the right choice for my Ferrari?
    Unlike other dry powder fire extinguishers, Halon leaves no residue whatsoever. Used on the engine of your car, a standard extinguisher would coat the entire engine compartment -- in just about every crack, crevice, component, and connection with white powdery residue. If you've been able to extinguish the fire, only half the battle is over. Cleaning up after the mess would include water or other solvents, which are likely to wreak havoc with your Ferrari's electrical system. Halon dissolves, has no negative impact on aluminum, rubber, or plastic. In theory, you could use a Halon extinguisher at a backyard cook-out on a hamburger that started to flame-up -- and still enjoy a tasty burger (please don't try this).

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Halon is great, no residue, no damage.

But.....

Halon has been outlawed in most areas of the globe for a while.

From Wikipedia: "Halomethanes........have attracted wide attention because they become active when exposed to ultraviolet light found at high altitudes and destroy the Earth's protective ozone layer."

You can still get Halotron, expensive, but worth it.
    Alden

4. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Yes...I searched to replace my 612's power extinguisher with halon, and learned that it was outlawed in Europe many years ago.

5. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Still being sold, see link below :

Model A344T | H3R Aviation Halon 1211 Fire Extinguisher

Halon 1211 Extinguishers - Amerex FireAmerex Fire

Halon extinguishers are still produced, and available and dealing with the European distributor already. But I don't know what size :-(

I understand this is not good for the environment, but the purpose is not to use it ;-). And if I ever have to use it, i prefer to use Halon than Halotron that is not ideal either.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #6 mike32, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    We used to use Halon systems on high speed ferries but it was changed out when the product became illegal. It was replaced by another gas ( not CO2).
    It is still used on military vessels as far as i know in machinery spaces etc.

The comment about it leaving no residue is not strictly correct, you can let this stuff off in an engine room and you can walk through it to a point, as it does not put the fire out by depleting the oxygen level but it interupts the combustion process by chemical means. The way it does it was not fully understood years ago when i was involved with it.
    The danger of this stuff is that the interaction between the fire and the Halon produces toxic smoke which deposits on the engine surfaces- some of these depoisits are known to be carsonogenic and cancer forming. A fireman said they would treat this stuffs byproducts as hazadous , requiring a chemical suit and breathing gear so if you want this in your engine bay you are a braver man than me.
    I have not seen this stuff since about 1990.
    I will pass on the BBQ burger sprayed with Halon

7. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Halon 1301 has been banned for new suppression systems in buildings, and can still be used for existing in most scenarios.

The banning due to ozone depletion is correct. My guess is that for extinguishers still being sold as legit Halon 1301, they can get away with selling it because the depletion for individual extinguishers is not enough to be an issue. You would be comparing a 10 or 20 pound extinguisher to hundreds (or even thousands) of pounds of Halon cylinders in a typical computer room installation.

The replacement for Halon for halogenated refrigerants are primarily HFC-227ea ("FM200), and FK-5-1-12 ("NOVEC 1230"). For inert gases you have IG-541 ("INERGEN"). And of course good ole Carbon Dioxide in high and low pressure form.

8. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

Thanks for update.

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    ^I was going to suggest FM-200

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think it is still available as they re cycle halon from old systems.

The thing to note if using halon for a car is that it puts the fire out but it can flare up again, hence why you dont use on a fuel fire in industry.
    We used it in ships machinery spaces but we shut down the ventilation system and closed all the fire doors and fireflaps so the compartment was sealed- exactly the same proceedure as when injecting CO2.- you have to leave it sealed for hours to cool down.

It does nothing to cool the fire, similar effect as CO2.

Foam or dry powder do a far more effective job and at least you still have your car-you just have to clean the mess off.

11. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    You are correct about the recycling- That's the key word

Halon is no longer available in new systems, but recycling of existing Halon is permitted.

I'm familiar with one of the Halon resources mentioned above, and their Halon is recycled, hence their ability to offer it.