early 612 F1 great gearbox!!! | FerrariChat

early 612 F1 great gearbox!!!

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi all,

I want to share with you my experience with the F1 single clutch disc on early 612 as I read a lot of negative comments
    When I first tried my 612 at the dealership I had the nodding dog effect, really thought this was suboptimal for a car of that class, I talked to my F Mechanic and he did a kind of adaptation to the clutch release in order for it to be faster. Now my gear changes feel as fast as lighting when the pedal is depressed to the max and super smooth when gentle throttle is given. I don't know what he did though. I always drive in sport mode as otherwise the car does not make sense to me, just too soft.
    Also, I do not know what is a safer way than paddle shifting when you have 540 ponies pushing, I rather focus on the line I take in curves and having both hands on the steering wheel than trying to find any kind of gearshift lever, the 612 steering rack is sensitive and a lack of attention can bring you in the ditch. Don't get me wrong, I love sticks and have a 962 C2 stick that I enjoy as much as the 612 , but I am not race driver, just modestly enjoying beautiful piece of engineering I have the chance to own. So for me the Early 612 is really perfect, I am sure the F1 S 612 are bette but want to reassure potential early 612 buyers that this car is wonderful, so go for it!!!!
    Take Care

Swiss612

2. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    I have the F1S and usually leave it in normal mode (unless I am tearing up country roads) as it feels like I have more "control" with shifting ; single clutch transmissions get a bad rap, you just have to know how / when to shift for it to be smooth. DCT you can't mess up, part of why they are so prevalent. The F1 transmission gives a more "analog" feel to the 612 -- love it. Too bad clutches don't last too long -- mine is about dead with 34k miles on it.