612 Headliner | FerrariChat

612 Headliner

Discussion in '612/599' started by clonmeliw, Sep 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Newbie here shopping for first F car and pretty much committed to idea of a 612 (I'm 6'4").

After several weeks of looking online, calling dealers and asking for build sheets, and looking at photos, I have seen references to leather headlines, quilted headliners, and alcantra headliners. I actually got to drive an '05 yesterday and confirmed my interest - the car was absolutely swathed in high quality, pungent leather with immaculate workmanship - but the headliner was sort of a white foam board arrangement covered with a textured white nondescript fabric which the salesperson assured me was the stock headliner. Not what I was expecting considering the finish quality of the rest of the cuoio interior. Is changing it out for one of the other treatments a big deal? Would it just be a plain rectangle of cuoio-colored hide? Would it be pleated or seamed? How about cuoio-colored alcantra (most of the photos I've seen - and headliner photos are rare - look almost like the textured is sueded)? Can it be sourced through an independent upholstery shop or should I stick to a factory part?

Thanks in advance!

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Changing it out is a huge deal. You've got to remove almost the entire interior. Then strip the liner, the foam enderlayment, the adhesive, and then have professional reinstalled with proper commercial spray adhesive, etc.

It can be done. I was forced to re-install mine when I bought my car as the headliner had separated from the foam and was literally off and folded up as a piece of very expensive leather!

The net: put this desire aside unless you are asking for trouble or just plain like trouble!

3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    +100

Find the car with the right headliner for your needs. I have a quilted headliner and I have to admit I marvel at its beauty and touch it every time I get in the car.

4. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Thank you both - I really appreciate the advice and counsel and look forward to learning from the elder statesmen of this community. Jason - I live in Tulsa and haven't been successful yet
    in finding an independent shop for regular service needs. KC is not a terrible drive - would you
    be interested in taking on an additional customer or is there someone down here you might refer me to? The president of the local FCA chapter has a guy in OKC but he's not taking on any new cars.

Thanks - Jeff

5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Hi Jeff.

Yes, very happy to help! Reach out sometime and let's chat. 913-717-6929 is my business line.

Just got back from Italy last night after a two week trip there. Spent time at Ferrari (including a factory tour) and at Alfa Romeo. It was a great experience!

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Glad you got to visit the Ferrari factory. That is awesome.

7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Pics ?