Question for GTO owners | FerrariChat

Question for GTO owners

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Oct 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Here is something I found bizarre (not unexpected it has to be said) when the GTO went for replacement tyres (9 months to get these tyres) the tyre shop was unable to get the wheels off at first.

Why because the socket/wheel spanner supplied by Ferrari in the up to then unopened tool kit did not fit into the GTO wheel nuts which are different to the 599 ones. The spanner was clearly for a 599.

Has anyone here found the same?

Luckily the shop found an adapter which allowed them to take the wheels off, the wheels are super light, the wheel nuts weigh almost nothing.

2. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I've never opened the tool kit either. Every time I replace tires I have the dealership do it. Possibly a little more expensive but my trust factor is much higher and I know they have proper liability insurance if it's done wrong and a tire comes off for any reason especially at speed. Nobody else ever touches my GTO....Period!

3. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    +1 … same here and I'm already at my 4th set of tires. Never had any problems.

4. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    M, I believe I am on my 4th or 5th set as well. Our GTO's can sure eat rubber..... But we also have a lot of fun wearing them out!!

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    How many miles does 4 or 5 sets of tire equal?

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The place the car went to is the same one the dealer uses. Usually the dealer supplied a tool for GTO wheel nuts but I was surprised that there is the totally incorrect one in the tool kit so hypothetically an owner could not fit the space saver....(irrelevant really because there is nowhere to put the full sized road wheel).

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Basic math would put it over 20K miles one would think unless a lot of track time or really harsh driving. A good question though.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I realize that different drivers and track time would produce different degrees of tire wear but some cars use tires real hard. The early NSX was particularly hard on tires so I had heard 5k -6k for a set. I was just curious as most Fcars are pretty low mileage and 4 - 5 sets seemed to be a lot even assuming 20k -25k miles for regular driving.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW , I checked the 2 GTO's here and both fit as designed.

S