A Sessanta or an anniversary year car??? | FerrariChat

A Sessanta or an anniversary year car???

Discussion in '612/599' started by 1961GTE, Oct 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1961GTE

1961GTE Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Buckinghamshire UK
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1 1961GTE, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Just saw this car browsing through some 612 classifieds.

http://ww3.autoscout24.nl/classified/273343388?asrc=st|as

Not sure it is a Sessanta but a couple of things are correct: Wheels (I think these were only on the Sessanta??) and it has a 60 year plaque (did all 2007 612s have this??). The Matricola number has been taped over so I can't check. Can't see if it has a glass roof or not. There's a lot that's not right: steering wheel, centre console (gear/mode selector), paintwork (although I've seen a couple of Sessantas that aren't two-tone) door sills. It doesn't have the limited edition 'token' celebrating one of Ferrari's cars/achievements throughout its 60 years which all Sessantas have.

Apart from the headline title of the ad, the car is never actually referred to as a Sessanta. Just says "Ferrari 612 Scaglietti 60th Anniversary Built for and Owned by Mr Piero Ferrari" and "The most unique Ferrari 612 Scaglietti 60th in the world".

Finally, the price seems high (although the Piero Ferrari provenance of the car will push the price up) but so few Sessantas come to market that it's difficult to assess a correct market price.

So I'm pretty sure not a genuine Sessanta but a special build 2007 car built for Piero Ferrari in the anniversary year. Anyone got any different thoughts???

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Not a Sessanta. No manettino on the wheel, no glass roof control on the center console, and if it were a Sessanta, there would be a picture of that car's specific Sessanta badge. Each Sessanta has it's own unique badge, commemorating an event in Ferrari history.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- At least it is not a production Sessanta. Considering who owned it, who knows? Could have been glued together specifically for Piero Ferrari. It has Sessanta wheels and what looks like an HGTC/HGT1 option pack on it with CCMs and sport exhaust.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The price looks a bit high unless owning Piero Ferrari's car is important to you from a collection standpoint. My drothers would be to get a late OTO car with all the options including the glass roof and less miles for $150k - $200K. But then I never buy cars for investments or their collectability.

5. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
  6. 1961GTE

1961GTE Rookie

Aug 26, 2012
    Buckinghamshire UK
    Full Name:
    Sean
  7. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    This car is advertised for more than a year, i tried to call few times the seller : he didn't return my calls and never pick-up the phone. So beware.

8. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Gorgeous car..!

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #9 southnc, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe Sessantas were 2007 (60th anniversary) year only. They came with the F1-S (not F1-A) twin-clutch transmission. Sort of predecessor to OTO versions.

Also note that all 2007 612 vehicles have the 60th year plaque, as does my 2007 HGTS model:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It looks like your car and plaque are getting some good use judging by the paint on the plaque.

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That is just the light reflecting off of the metal. It actually looks much better in person.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Oh well, I thought someone was really using/driving their car.

13. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I tried to buy this car about a year ago. I had agreed a price of 117k euros with the vendor and was due to fly out to inspect the car that weekend when he called to say it had been sold. Not sure what the real story was but I am suspicious that the pictures in the ad have not been updated in over a year. If it is genuine - i.e. Piero Ferrari's car - then it's worth a punt as you're probably free to use the car however much as you want and you won't lose much on it. Check it out carefully though. BTW - it's not an actual Sessanta but a special build to Sessanta spec done for Piero before they released the Sessantas - AFAIK.

14. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    #14 TeamF1Jr, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017