Tire option for 599 | FerrariChat

Tire option for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by tcw, Oct 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #1 tcw, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just thought I would let other 599 owners know that there is another option for tires besides P Zero and Michelin for the cost conscious that I just purchased. These are 245/35ZR-20 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S XL and 305/35ZR-20 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S SL for about $660 for the set. Probably they are not good track tires but should be fine for a road tire. They are also used on some Porsche models and have been out of production until recently.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #2 tcw, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Excellent info. I had no idea. Also TireRack as Bridgestones. I find the P Zero very harsh.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those are all season tires and you do not want those on a Ferrari, especially one with 600+ hp.

5. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    BTW Terry, you were so right when you wrote to me about the 599's rear tires. To paraphrase you: "You will go through them." Indeed I have. Frank

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Frank- With that much hp and more torque than a 7 liter Corvette, something has to give and tires are preferred over clutches.

7. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I don't follow the logic of clutch wear or horsepower as an issue with respect to tire selection. I believe it is more about how you drive your car. This car will never see the track but if it did then the BFGoodrich would not be a good choice. I think they will be fine for cruising and occasional spirited driving.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Disagree completely. All season tires are not suitable for Ferrari use except in special circumstances, like driving in low temperatures, freezing rain or light snow. Even then then you would be better off with sets of summer and winter tires and wheels.

If you are driving a $200K car, why skimp on tires to save a few bucks? Get Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they will likely age out before you wear them out.

Makes no difference where you are going to drive her or how hard.

9. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Tazandjdan, I fully respect your your opinion to disagree completely as you appear to have a strong feeling regarding all season tires and Ferrari suitability. However, that aside, it is "one man's opinion" and I need to make a decision about tires based upon more factual evidence and my own experience with tires, both road and racing varieties. Regarding all season tires they are a compromise but have advanced in recent years technologically. Driving a car on the street with changing road conditions will always require some compromise. Even with summer and winter tires you will not always have the right tire for the moment. For example, I see your profile shows you in Albuquerque where it is commonly mentioned that "in the winter you can ski in the morning and play tennis in the afternoon". Also, I know of no evidence that they will harm a Ferrari or any other road car (which are compromises in themselves). I also take exception to the statement "Makes no difference where you are going to drive her or how hard". At the track we often have long conversations about tire choices based upon the weather, surface conditions, brands, etc. You might go out on rain tires because it is raining near the start only to find the surface dry off in the middle of the race and your tread totally gone because of how hard you are driving (to the contrary you might find yourself off the track in the mud if you chose slicks and it rains in the middle of the race). Regarding the tire cost, it is only one factor and in my case it is not a matter of skimping. If a tire meets your needs and is less expensive than the alternative I see no need to spend more. I have multiple vehicles so it does add up over time. Finally, regarding the BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S XL, I have not formulated a personal opinion yet as they still need to be mounted and driven on. I just have posted them on the forum as an option out there for others to be aware of. Maybe I will post my thoughts later although I don't expect to change yours :).

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferraris never came from the factory with all season tires. That should tell you something.

11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The risk, throwing away a 620 hp car is always present. The risk is much higher with old tires or tires which are not suitable for the car.

An all season tire is a compromise, the 599 isn't a car for compromises.

Daniel

12. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    The car did not come with Michelins either if you want to be a purist. Also Michelin does make the correct size rear as well. Also the 599 is a compromise for the road..... to fast for the street and to slow for the track.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The GTO came with Michelins and so does the F12. Those sizes (315/35 20 K1 and K2) work fine on the rear of a 599. The MPSS was not introduced until 599 production was nearly complete. The 599 GTO was the launch vehicle for the MPSS.

My 575M did not come with MPSS tires either, obviously, but wears them now. Not only are they superior to earlier Michelins and Pirellis, but are less expensive, too.

Why compromise 599 handling and braking with an inferior tire?

14. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    My 612 is currently wearing MPSS K1 due to the advice of this forum - thanks again for the tip!

It really changed the car- more comfortable, less road noise, better grip and chassis reactions are healthier.

Probably the only tire that might compare to MPSS is the newer version of Pirelli Pzero (I only tried the old version- 612 oem tire)

15. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

My 599 came with Bridgestones. I am going to replace them with MPSS's. I would not consider all season tires, I don't think that is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    To each their own. At least you know there are options depending on need and your budget. If you really want to spend a lot of money there are also the run flats at about twice the cost :).