612 cruise control retrofit | FerrariChat

612 cruise control retrofit

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Oct 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    HI there,
    Would anyone know if having cruise control on the 612 is just a matter of buying the comodo and plugging it in or does the story involve reprogramming ?
    I have not seen any Cruise control module anywhere and I looked
    Earlier this year I was surprise that I could just buy the battery charger jack and plug it , so the car was precabled but also preprogrammed for this as when you attempt to crank the engine it shows the car is loading in the TFT.
    Therefore I thought CC might be the same
    Has anyone experience on this?

Thanks a lot

2. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    really nobody?

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Cruise control is a lot more involved than a battery tender... Not aware of any aftermarket cruise control for the 612. If you search in the 550/575 system then you should be able to find a system that has been retrofitted to the 550, I believe. I am not sure if that could be made to fit the 612, I doubt it would be simple... but try post in the thread related to the 550 retrofit cruise control, and I am sure people familiar with it can comment.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jes- The 550 has a throttle cable and both the 575M and 612 have electronic throttles with throttle position sensors in the pedal box. Cruise control for one is not compatible with the other.

Cruise control, option CRS 1, was available for the 612 and can likely be retrofitted by a Ferrari dealer. Best option is to go ask one how much it would cost to do so. Likely to be very expensive, but at least it would all be OEM.

5. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Thanks all, this was just an idea based on the assumption that the car options would be preprogrammed regardless if you had the hardware on the car, which would make any option plug an play
    I looked on the parts diagrams and have not found a CC module, only the column switch would be different. which makes me believe that could be true
    We talk about OEM parts here, found a second hand one, I would never fit non Ferrari parts on the car

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have Dave's (Ferraridriver) cruise control om my 550 and it works perfect!!!! Taz is right, but I know cruise control retrofits have been done to cars with drive by wire in the way that the actuator actually pulls on the throttle pedal itself (or the mechanism) for it. Speed signal is taken from the small suspention ECU.

7. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    thanks that's good to know, I think I will not try though
    Just came to the conclusion that it would be a nice to have but not something I would use as I am always trying to avoid highways and enjoy countryside roads

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have factory cruise control on my 612 OTO. Works fine. I believe the 612 was the first Ferrari with cruise control offered as an option.

I would be surprised if it's an easy retrofit to an older 612 (maybe to an OTO which just didn't have it), but I'm no expert.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- The earliest 612 for which I have documentation of cruise control is SN 158062, which is a pre-OTO, 2008 US model with Motronic 7.3.2 and F133H engine.

I have option sheets for UK 612s and the 2005 sheet does not show cruise control as an option, but the 2009 option sheet does.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions from that limited evidence.

Anybody have an early 612 with cruise control?

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I have cruise control, but I've never used it. But then I've never tried F1 auto mode either.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What year is your 612?

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    A car without cruise control....?!?! Even the 1980s Quattroportes had them retrofitted by the dealers. Not that I use it much but I had to get it.

13. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Car is from 2004

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I suppose that's possible, actually. When I discussed ordering a Sessanta, I was clearly told that it would be the first Ferrari with cruise control-- I think I even saw something in writing to that effect. Given that they did make a few 612s between the Sessanta and the OTO, it's not surprising that they might have offered it as an option.

15. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Interesting, I know the CC on 612 was an option but was it really offered on early models. If it wasn't there is little chance there is a software to handle the CC
    Would someone have a 2004 612 with CC?

16. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I looked at every 2004 car for sell in Europe and none of them has the CC
    So I very much doubt the management software is in the ECU
    One more reason not to try