Coolant Temps | FerrariChat

Coolant Temps

Discussion in '612/599' started by greybeast, Oct 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    For all you 612 guys. New owner here for the past week. Question on your coolant temps. Does your gauge fluctuate as you drive - like traffic vs. highway driving or is it rock steady once it reaches operating temperature? At what temp do your cooling fans tend to kick on? First time owning a car with video-game style gauges and trying to get used to the way things look and operate.

Thanks,

GB

2. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    Not to high jack but I am having same questions on my newly acquired 599 lol

My fan tends to kick in after a few minutes on start up and at idle. Seems not to shot off? Also I have been smelling some coolant and the dealer said that is VERY common on 599s, not sure if the 612 is the same?

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Sounds normal. Once at hwy speed the thermostat will hold the temperature at a steady-state, but if you pull over to the side and let it idle, the temperature will gradually climb until the fans kick in a little over 200F (maybe around 210F, if I recall correctly). The fans will turn off once temperature has dropped below, maybe, 195F. This is from vague memory of my 612, and what you describe seems consistent with that. So, yes, it fluctuates, all cars' coolant temperature does, but many/most manufacturers tend to mask it to not worry the user (I suppose)...

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes and yes. As you drive and conditions change the temp will fluctuate. It will move exactly as you would expect. If you are stuck in traffic, expect higher temps. If you have to drive in lower gears, expect higher temps. When you are cruising on the highway it will be rock steady.

I find the coolant temps run very closely to the same oil temps on my Harley. Normal operating temps are around 180-190, and high temps go to around 210+.

5. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Thanks all! I gotta get some highway driving in this week and see how she looks. Still getting used to the F1 trans. Very different than what I'm used to.

Interestingly in my 355 the temp rises to 190 and the needle barely moves off that number in either direction no matter how she's driven.

6. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    my fan isn't kicking on as it should over 210. replaced the thermostat and now dealer says the brand new thermostat I gave them is faulty. I don't buy it. Thoughts?

7. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    That happened on my 355 once. One of the fans was not kicking on. faulty fan. ez fix. I don't think a thermostat should affect the fan kicking on at the threshold temperature. maybe a sensor or the fan itself?

I just realized - by thermostat did you mean the fan switch thermostat?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are two water temperature sensors, one on each side. One is the primary and comes on at a lower temperature. The other is a back-up if the primary fails and comes on at a higher temperature. The thermostat has nothing to do with turning on the fans, except regulating water temperature.