Driving impressions | FerrariChat

Driving impressions

Discussion in '612/599' started by greybeast, Oct 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    I am a couple of weeks into ownership of my 2009 612 Scaglietti. I haven't driven it too much unfortunately but have put on maybe 100 miles all on local roads. I have to say my expectations have not matched my experience.

Based on my research and the experience of driving a few early edition 612s, I was expecting a pretty relaxed, quiet and somewhat isolated drive. Having been lucky enough to drive a 355 for the past 5 years, I have become accustomed to the raw, go-cart screamer type of ride, and thought this would be a significant departure.

What I discovered is, especially when driving in F-1 mode, the car is every bit as engaging and energized as my gated 355, requiring my full attention. It's a bit quieter in the intake and exhaust, but the driveline mechanical bits provide a symphony of sound. Of course the exhaust can be coaxed into a howl, too.

The other 612s I had sampled were both '05s, one of them a gated car. Neither struck me with the nervous personality my OTO exhibits. I say nervous in a good way, meaning nimble, crisp and eager to respond to inputs.

The handling is superb. The car feels to be about 75% the size it actually is, and 2/3 the weight. The controls are frictionless and solid. The brakes are phenomenal.

Acceleration is the one thing which is more of a cerebral as opposed to visceral experience. That is to say, when accelerating into traffic, imprudent speeds can be reached devoid any knowledge thereof. A quick glance at the speedo has a few times induced a quick stab of the brakes. This beast just manufactures speed with absolutely no drama - and this is the greatest departure from the 355.

The comfort and luxury are indeed superior to any sports car I've previously driven and would say they remind me of my old e39 M5, which is a big compliment. I'm still trying to learn about all the creature comforts. I also love the fact that i have two booster seats currently installed in back for my two youngest boys.

I need to wring it out a bit more on a good hour-plus highway slog to get a better idea about her highway personality.

I'd love to hear about the experiences of some of the 612 veterans.

GB

2. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    Great review and thanks for sharing. This is a Great "family" car. Do you feel the car been too long in size ?

When you drive in the F1 - do you drive it like a manual car without a clutch? (hope my question makes sense)

3. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Doesn't feel long when driving although the hood does feel long when parking

I am not sure what u mean. I just shift where i would normally shift. When coming to a stop i use neutral to avoid the automatic downshifts in hopes of reducing TO bearing and clutch wear.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think it looks longer than it drives. Likely due to the front mid engine. Doesn't drive like a Porsche but way better than my CL 55 which is same about the same length.

5. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    Some people say when shifting you slightly let off the gas pedal like in a 3 pedal manual car. Not sure if this is needed on F1 cars

6. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    On F1 tranny cars you don't need to let off gas pedal when shifting, not even slightly.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In Normal mode the F1 system does not match revs on upshifts or downshifts. So in the lower gears, lifting the throttle slightly will result in smoother upshifts. In Sport mode, the system does match revs on both upshifts and downshifts, but even then, unless accelerating really rapidly, a slight lift or feather smooths shifts in the lower gears. If accelerating rapidly to revs around 5000 or higher, just hold the throttle where it is.

Personally, I never use Sport until I have 160 F oil temperature, but that is just my own technique. Do not want quick shifts until everything is warmed up and the oil temp gauge is the best indicator of that.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Good info, Taz.

One of the best features to look for on 612 is the front park sensors, which really help since gauging front bumper to something close to front of the car can be tricky.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A trick is that if you ever have it in Auto mode, lifting slightly will generally trigger a smooth upshift. So you actually have a fair amount of control, at least when driving fairly slowly.

Also, if you ever do use Auto, be very careful about flooring the gas, especially when puttering along about 20-25 mph. The kickdown can really get you by surprise.

Otherwise, I think the OP's comments are right on.

10. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

11. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    The 612OTO is a really great Ferrari -absolutely no downsides.

12. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This seems to be something that one should watch out for. A member (Scraggy) here recently posted about how he floored his 599 HGTE in Auto mode and the car kicked down two gears which ultimately led to a loss of control and totaling of the car.

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #13 raider1968, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are right there - by the way, in 14,000 miles I have never driven in auto - you just can't beat this long low profile
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I usually drive right side up

15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    One of the reasons I don't post pictures.

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    greybeast, if you're not too far into the Island, I'm in Westchester. Let me know if you want to meet up and compare notes. I love driving my car, coming from a new Cali T

17. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    Thanks for the nice post greybeast.

I have a 2006 HGTS and here's a driving impression of my own: earlier this year I was returning to the UK on the unrestricted, lightly-trafficked German autobahn, four-up, at a steady 150mph. The car felt planted, stable, even relaxed. My brother was reading a newspaper.

These cars are phenomenal.

18. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    I have the same car -- love my 06 612 HGTS! Looking forward to driving her to Daytona FL for the Ferrari Finali event. Missing her now as she is at FoA getting her major service done before the trip.

19. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Have noticed that my car feels more compose at 150 than at 80....!

20. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Nice review and I'm also enjoying mine more and more. I think that's because the 4 seats mean I use it to actually go places and do stuff. Going for an hour drive in the Scud is huge fun but without a destination it's ultimately not as satisfying.
    I also agree that the faster you go the more planted and straight line stable the car feels. Steering seems to lose some of the low speed sensitivity.

21. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Nice review Greybeast

I have had my 612 since May and I must say the original impression was that it was a touch boring. Having got out of a road registered 355 Challenge, I guess that was always going to be the case! It actually got branded "Grandpa's Limo" :(

However, we have recently completed the Ferrari Club Australia National Rally comprising Concorso, Track Day, Drive Day, Motorkhana & Drags. Followed by a winery tour of the Margaret River region in WA.

My impressions have changed dramatically - this is a highly competent car, with lots of grunt, great turn in for its size & weight and brakes much better than expected. I strapped on some Trofeo tyres and managed to knock off the 599's on Track Day.

As a long distance tourer, I can't think of much that would surpass it.

The added bonus? SWMBO loves it!

22. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Yes, I suppose at some point I'll do a track day to safely explore the performance limits, but after 2 hour long casual drives this weekend, with the cruise control set to 90 and my favorite cd in the bose.....I will say that she's a seriously competent cruiser.

23. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
    Hi GreyBeast. I was wondering what boosters you have in the back of the 612 and if you have any pictures. When my kids are in the back it is so low down they cannot see out of the windows which ruins the experience for them a bit.
    I am thinking about having some trimmed to match the interior of my car but would need something as a base to start with.
    Thanks

24. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
  25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You got that right - especially with the jammer on!