612 start up and clock | FerrariChat

612 start up and clock

Discussion in '612/599' started by ablee2323, Nov 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ablee2323

ablee2323 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015
    Hi all,

First off, great forum.

I have a 2005 612 which I love. On start ups - after it has been sitting a day, about 50% of the time it turns over but doesn't catch, it will almost does, but putters out. A quick turn of the wrist and it barks into life. The other thing is that my clock after say 2-3 weeks loses 5 minutes or so (late). I reset it simply (something to do at a stop light). But wonder if battery is low and if it is related to the start up issue.

Any thoughts, appreciated.

2. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Low or old batteries play tricks on those cars. Get a battery tender if you don't have one
    The car is precabled to fit the factory charger, I did it on mine (11/2014 model)

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Most Fcar owners don't use the car as a DD and there seem to be systems running in the background when the car is not running? Likely if the car was the used frequently a battery would not be so important as the battery would be charged regularly.

It seems that even not using the car for a couple of weeks can run the battery down significantly. I normally hook up the tender every time I garage the car. I had thought I was going to use the car the next day so I didn't attach the tender well a couple weeks later when I did use the car I noticed the items mentioned by OP. Now I always to attach the tender after every use and I have had no issues.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My 575M clock runs fast, some run slow, just luck of the draw. They are quartz clocks, which use a vibrating crystal as the time reference. So as long as they have enough current to make the crystal vibrate, the clock will be fine. If current gets too low, the clock stops, but does not run slow.

5. ablee2323

ablee2323 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015
    Many thanks Taz. The Ferrari v12 engine is the main event. And that is running just fine.

6. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The clock on my '06 Scaglietti allways runs slow. I installed a new battery not long ago and keep it on a tender, but the clock is no good. Just a minor irritation, and one I attribute to quirky Italian engineering. It seems with every Fcar there is always something not quite right.....
    The car had an annual service recently, maybe I should have mentioned it to the dealer. I still love the 612 anyway.