Harmonic Rumble From Rear Wheel | FerrariChat

Harmonic Rumble From Rear Wheel

Discussion in '612/599' started by ddonzella, Nov 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Driving my 08 599 I notice a suttle harmonic rumble noise from rear of car. It gets faster as car goes faster. Not the torque shaft. Dealer couldn't pin point the culprit. Car has new tires, brakes are fine, nothing from half shafts or wheel bearing appear to be loose or sloppy. Anyone have any experience with this type of noise and can suggest either a worn half shaft or wheel bearing problem? Car has 17000 miles.

Thank You

2. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    You mentioned new tires. Maybe recheck the wheel balance? I have had weights fall off my wheels.

3. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I have a similar noise on my 430. I assumed it was a flat spot as tyres were at their end, but after fitting new rears and balancing it's still there. Bearing noise will change when cornering but it's not that. I've changed pads recently and ruled them out. Next step will be to check cv joints. Spinning the wheels while on the lift reveals nothing so it's only there under load. I'll update when I find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Thanks The Cook.

5. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Finally got round to dealing with this. The noise got worse at my last track day and it became apparent that it was definitely the left side rear wheel bearing. I replaced it with the spare that I had ordered for the front before I figured out that the speed sensor could be easily cleaned out. Front and rear bearings are the same on the F430. Relatively quick job (although 275nm torque is good going!) and took the car out yesterday for a drive. Noise gone and no problem with the speed sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    I decided to have the car looked at in a shop in Boca Raton, Pretty sure it will be the left rear half shaft by the sounds of things. I would change myself but this mechanic will send out the half shaft to a company that has computer equipment to test them to be sure its the culprit and if so rebuild it for the fraction of the cost of a new one and he is reasonable on the labor. Should be resolved this week!