winter tyres on a 612 | FerrariChat

winter tyres on a 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Craddock, Nov 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Hello - just curious if any owners have regularly used a 612 with winter tyres on it... and if so, how adventurous you were with it? I've found it transforms the usability of my regular cars - and its going in for a set of Michelin Alpin PA4s tomorrow as I need it to be road-legal on regular roads around France/Switz/Austria while I'm down there in the winter. But beyond that, I wondered if it'll make a big enough difference to a heavy RWD car like the 612 to be especially noticeable and, more crucially, what the limitations - even with winter kit - would be for it. Thanks in advance.

2. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    It's rarely the case that you are legally required to have winter tyres but in the event of an accident more blame may be apportioned to you if it was a factor. Many tourists do not have them but you may be required to put on chains in the mountains during heavy snow.
    That being said I am sure the 612 would be year round usable with winters on unless the conditions were particularly extreme. They really do make a big difference in snow and freezing temperatures when summer tyres go rock hard. My main concern would be salt on the road in those conditions though so I'll use my car during the winter but only when dry.
    I used my car last weekend in 6 C and was impressed that the MPSS still got up to 25 C per the TPMS. Grip and balance were just fine.

3. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I took the 612 by -2C this week for the last drive of the year before winter storage, Pzeros were hard as rock, steering sucked and adherence was... non existent, it is about temperature and not the different tire profile as many people think. Yes, those tires have a special design to have more grip in the snow and probably a little bit more thread, but the key is in the different rubber compound that will keep its softness at low temperatures
    Winter tires is a no brainer from a safety point of view if your are driving by those temperatures
    I am only driving Michelin PA, best compromise from the longevity adherence viewpoint

good luck

4. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Thanks for the replies - good point about the salt. Winter tyres are on it now so its ready for an Alpine adventure!

5. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    #5 GianiCakes, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a picture from this morning. As you can see after 20 mins or so the tyres are up to a healthy temperature despite being only 3 C. Car was great otherwise and one advantage of using huge amounts of fuel is that the car warms up quickly further helped by the seat heaters.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    #6 er72, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drive my 612 in the winter all the time. I bought a set of used 612 wheels on eBay and fitted them with Pirelli Sottozero tires - the only winter tires available in the sizes I needed, It handles fine in the light snow and just needs more frequent washes when the roads are salty.

7. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Anybody know if those wheels will also fit the OTO? Just wondering if the ceramic brakes require a different size.

8. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Just put some winter shoes on my OTO...
    Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
    Front 245/35/R20 85 W non-marked (i.e. no K, M, N etc)
    Rear 285/35/R20 104W non-marked

For staggered sizes you need the directional PA4 tread pattern. It took about a week to receive the tires after ordering.

Fronts (2221 date code) were made in France, Rears (4120 date code) in Hungary fwiw.

Bill

599_GTO likes this.