Radio Update Info | FerrariChat

Radio Update Info

Discussion in '612/599' started by kenehresman, Dec 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    Ok, the dealer I bought my 612 from claims the radio worked, yeah right, didn't even power on lol... anyway, with some research and searching, I bought a Cascade BE 7944 and plugged all the back stuff" in with the GPS antenna provided... I can confirm the Factory Changer in trunk still works, all the functions appear normal, the voice commands work, the bluetooth works, Navigation Works.... There was a black plug from the original unit that didn't get used on the new radio, not sure what that went to, it had a 90 DEgree plug just next to the lower power plug....

So if are looking for a nice factory style upgrade, consider the BE 7944 as a potential candidate, although it flashed Amber colored Becker Logo at start up, it allows you to select screen color combos, and green goes nicely with the factory green tinted lights... nice plug and play.... Will require some hacking to get recent maps on her, but will be worth it, and retains a VERY VERY normal factory look, that with 5 minutes can be put back to factory 6105...

thx

2. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Just a notion: there is not much hacking necessary. All on base on freeware programs possible. Just get the latest (Version 6.0 in Europe) Becker update for Traffic Pro 794X, cascade, cascade pro and Mexico for ca 90 Euro unused. Used ones maybe lots cheaper. The data should be from Q4-2013.

Since you have the original Becker version you can just use it as it is. It is more interesting to adapt it to the Ferrari BE1112 etc. Therefore, you just need to replace Harmanbecker V6 on the CF card to OEM V6. Et voila you have the newest software for your Ferrari radio that is not distributed by Ferrari. This also works for original Ferrari Radios that were not delivered with sat nav when the car was delivered. You just need to have the proper software (Cf card and CD) and add the sat nav antenna at the back of the radio and activate sat nav in the menue of the radio. If you like to have newer data you need to adapt BMW or Audi software that is newer on normal, indeed.
    Good Luck!
    Michael

3. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank

Hi I am drom Germany and have the Ferrari Becker Nav Radio
    in my 599.
    I like to get the latest Software and Europe Nav Data which I believe is 2013. I am not much into hacking and programming, do you know a source where I can get this release ? thank you Frank

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

4. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    The latest version is from Becker for Traffic Pro 794x, cascade, cascade pro and Mexico.
    It is available on German Amazon and EBay for 197,70 Euro. You need version 6.0 that is the latest one.
    It includes a system CD and the CF card.
    The CD works even with the Ferrari version of the Radio. The CF card needs to be pimped a bit. You need a computer with a CF card reader. You can directly change Harmanbecker v6.0 to OEM v6.0 on the CF card with an CF card writer program. But I would recommend you to buy a 4 or 8 GB CF card somewhere. Use free software to burn an image of the original CF card to your computer (not just file copy ... you need an image ). Than burn that image with the same free software to your new CF card. Than you need a free software to allow you to read and write on that CF card. Than Search for 'HARMANBECKER V6.0' on the CF Card and replace by 'OEM V6.0'.
    Than take that CF Card and the CD to your car and follow the instructions to update. I personally prefer to use a copy of the CF card to test the procedure. If everything runs , than delete the copy and do all the steps with the original CF card. There are some forum discussions on www also on this. It took me a while to get free software for burning the image, reading and writing directly on the CF card. There is no other way to get around this. You need to change the CF card. One good thing is that Ferrari charged more than 400 Euro once for the V4.0 version and that the way I described is available for 197,70 Euro if you buy the software unused. Ferrari doesn't distribute any newer version than 4.0 as far as I know.
    Does this help?

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  6. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    for the NAV, I didn't ask but should have... is the verison 6 for Europe maps or North America (US)? anyone know?

7. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Version 6 is for Europe , only. Please check the Becker Harman Homepage for a US version. To adapt that Becker CF card to a Ferrari CF than according to what I wrote above.

Good luck
    Michael

8. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    Ok Folks, Got the 8GB card working, pretty straight forward but there are a couple minor things you should know.... at teh end of the "magic text. the next character is NOT an 00 is is an 0A in Hex... both appear as a period, but if you have 00 it will not work.

confirmed 16GB card wont work, but don't fear, I will be this week taking that card and stepping it from the 8GB (8192)K it is by default and seeing just high I can push it before it stops picking up the Magic Text... Interestingly enough, the larger 16GB card seems to play all the music I have stored, so the unit can actually read that car in the MP3 mode, but probably the boot loader of the NAV tells it to look for the Text in the free space on the card but isn't capable of seeing it all the way out, some limitations of addressing and coding i'm sure... I'm sure becker could remove and fix that bug, but they wont as there isn't any money in that.. if I had a complete set of source code for the radio, I probably could do it, so I will look further into it, and then we might be able to take a 6.0 update CD and push a modified config back to the radio to exceed it...

Finally, My Magic Text is "HARMANBECKER BECKER V6" not the aforementioned text. I WILL BE replacing the text to "HARMONBECKER OEM V6" to test for compatibility to Ferrari mode....

9. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    I will continue my search for a set of updated NAVTEQ Maps to see what the most current US version is I can get running.... ANyone have any links to the maps send the info PM please... I'll be trying the BMW, Mercedes, and maybe AUDI as well as Porsche, as a lot of these radio use the same maps and similar head units...

10. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    As far as I read somewhere it looks like that BMW and Audi Maps are always a little bit more up to date than the others. But: I personally , don't have any proof for it.
    Indeed, you can use Merc, BMW , Audi etc ... maps but you need to reformat and rename the files. There are chats that you can google to learn more about this. Definitively it needs some software and instructions to be able to do that. I have never done that cause it is easier to buy a used version and update your sat nav on base of that.

Good luck!
    Michael

11. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    @kenehresman: PS magic Text: you are right ! I recalled it from what I have done last year but reproduced it not correctly. Thanks for putting it right !
    Michael

12. kenehresman

kenehresman Karting

Jul 15, 2012
    FYI, HARMANBECKER OEM V6 Text was NOT being liked by my 7944 Head units...

Anyone get a successful verison of any MAPS US based for the Cascade radios? Version 6, I have the Europe maps and they work just fine.... I will be testing to see how far I can push the partition past 8GB on the CF cards, I have a 64GB car and the 8GB partition works fine so I will work it up a couple meg at a time until it breaks... will post results....

I wouldn't mind buying the maps, this isn't a cheapo stealing deal, but they don't make any US maps past version5

13. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Just to put this right : for a 7944 you don't need to change the magic text !
    Just update the sat nav with The V6 version by Harman Becker.
    The CF card need to be changed , only if you own an original Ferrari Becker sat nav/ radio !
    And that is a BE6112 or a BE6111. You can recognize by the little Ferrari switch in the middle to open the CF slot.
    All other radios have a switch that says 'Becker' ! And they can be updated without changing anything.
    Michael

14. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Michael could you give me again the exact wording/ spelling of the text to be replaced ? It is kind of confusing which text to write. Also if it has to be in capital letters and if there is a dot between the six and the zero.
    I bought the 6.0 Becker update and a 8GB CF card, my Radio is the Ferrari 6112. I do not want to do mistakes putting in the wrong text or spelling. Thank you. Frank

15. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Bit stressed at the moment. Will look it up during the weekend !
    Ok?
    Michael

16. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    #16 xcvb1, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok. Was curious !
    If you copy a CF card make 2 things sure :
    A) use San disk ultra 4 GB ( not available ) or a 8 GB and burn a 4GB image on it. This means you loose those remaining 4 GB. Other CF cards may work but San DISK ultra is for sure working. I had others to test that didn't work
    B) make sure you use an image read & burn software. Don't try to copy the files. There are hidden blocks that wouldn't be copied than

When you like to change to the Ferrari Text than search with your software for 'HARMANBECKER' or go directly to address : 0EE237000

I took a pic of address and sector to make it easier for you incl. the text how it works with FERRARI BE1112 and BE1111

Hope this helps!
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thx Michael , will do the homework ! Frank

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

18. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank

Michael the persons who helps me with the card said the address and text does not exist. She copied the Becker 6.0 CF card as image on the computer, then transferred image back to the SanDisk Ultra 8GB. She used then [​IMG]Winhex to search text and also the address but she did not find it, neither address neither text. What could she have done wrong ?

19. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    #19 xcvb1, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well , two things :
    I copied the page as it should be changed for working in the BE1112 or BE1111 (the original Ferrari sat navs). All 'original ' Becker radios with the 'Becker' switch instead of the 'Ferrari' switch in the middle of the radio front cover don't need a change.

The original Becker San Disk is a 4 GB in version 6.0 and a 2 GB CF card in version 4.0. Since 4GB San Disk CF are not available anymore you need to take a 8 GB san Disk Ultra. That means if you burn the image you will loose 4GB. It should be possible theoretically to reserve the remaining 4GB For other things like music files , etc. but I would not like to recommend since this is a bit more tricky. The magic text is in a hidden partition of the CF card as far as I remember. Don't do file copy or Disk copy. You need to read and burn a CF card image!

When using WinHex which is very comfortable but no freeware as far as I know , please make sure that WinHex is opened as 'administrator'. With my old windows version you need to do do. a right Click with your mouse on the icon and choose ' open as administrator'. Than please go to the 'unpartitionierter Speicher' in case you are using a German version. Than it should right pop up at front as you can see from the screen shot.
    Other software like HxD is not so comfortable but you also need to open as admin.
    This should help ! Please again: in the original CF Becker card the txt says HARMANBECKER BECKER V6 but not OEM. That OEM is already the change for Ferrari BE6112 or BE6111. So, if you need to search : search for HARMANBECKER, only which will lead to several hits and it may take up to 20 min until you identify the right one at the address I gave you or search for the address typed in manually to use a short cut.
    Good luck!
    Ok?
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Sorry : always meant BE6112 and BE6111 but not 1111 nor 1112!

21. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank

Hi Michael
    yes ok I will tell the lady who helps me doing this (I only have Mac so I prefer to have someone doing in a native Windows environment)
    Yes my Radio is a Ferrari 6112. And yes I followed you advice and bought a San Disk Ultra 8 GB. And she is a pro so she should have a paid Winhex program. However I will copy the text you wrote and send it to her.
    Thank you for all your help.
    Frank

PS here is a goodie: I just discovered that a US company is doing new Iphone Lightning adapters for our Becker Radios again. Sonwe can listen music from the Iphone.
    Search for IL BKR. The adapter charges ss well.
    They are very helpful and did me a special plug for my 6112 .It is in the mail, will let you know if it works.

22. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    Yup. The ikr adapter is excellent esp when you don't have CD changer nor the original Ferrari apple adapter. In the later case you need a 30 pin on 8 pin audio adapter to ensure that music and charging works with the new iPhones with the 8 pin socket. In China you can get these adapters online for a few bucks, only (incl p&p). A normal 30 pin to 8 pin adapter as it is sold elsewhere quiete often will not work. You need the big adapter incl a plug in for the Speaker and the 8 pin socket.

Michael

23. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    @Frank musiconsult:
    I am curious ! Did it work?
    Michael

24. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank
    no she did not get it working and gave up. Don't know why. I gave her everything right. Empty Scan Disk 8GB, Nav Update 6.0 from Kolumbus24 (197 Euro), CF Card Reader. I told her to copy Image form Update CF to PC and then copy it back to empty CF Card. Then look for the Text with WinHex. She said she could not find the text string even when I gave her your screenshot. Don't really k
    understand what the problem is but did not want to bother her any more an request the parts back. best, Frank

25. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank
    what works great though is the new version of IL-BKR. Can listen all my Iphone music flawless on the Becker now for 80 bucks investment. They are great people, when cable stopped working on IOS 10 the sent me a new one to Germany