612 Leather Shrinkage | FerrariChat

612 Leather Shrinkage

Discussion in '612/599' started by raider1968, Dec 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I am n my 2nd round of having the rear shelf leather and dash leather fixed on my 2008 612 - has anyone had a 612 where this did not occur - the car has been in a climite control garage most of its life

2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I'm having the same problem.

I think its connected to sun, humidity and ...conditioner (?).

It was ok until we started conditioning it.

Does it make sense that the conditioner might react with the glue or lead to shrinkage?

For now its not much (dash) - difficult to see, but for sure in the near future we will need to repair it properly.

Shelf leather didn't shrink, but has some waves - unglued. Looks bad.

Until now we didn't do anything since we aren't sure who can repair it with proper similar leather, no glue smell and perfect assembly. :)

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 2008 612 hasn't had any issues, as far as I know. I haven't examined it closely, though.

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Ferrari dealer told me they have the problem on all cars that have leather and its the leather itself that causes the problem - said they have it on Calis, 458s etc
    I'm have it fixed by dealer - will need to get leather from Italy for perfect match

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Are you re-covering entire dash pad? Know what dealer will charge? My 612 is due at some point in the future - has started to peel back a bit by sun-sensor (I think it is), and just a tad at one spot by the windshield...

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I keep hearing this happen. I saw a 2006 HGTC model, where the whole dash had completely pulled away. It looked awful.

So far, knock on wood, my 2007 612 HGTS has not had any issues. Of course, for all I know, the previous owner may have already fixed it.

It seems to me that Ferrari used too small an area of leather to save costs, whilst not accounting for additional size needed for expected shrinkage due to sunlight, temperature, and humidity conditions.

Also, keep in mind the front dash isn't the only place this can happen - the rear shelf can have issues as well unfortunately. :(

7. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    my 2004 is like new and has never been changed
    Switzerland climate is not as extreme as what you have in the US
    I am the second owner and don't know what the previous owner did, I try not to park outside in the sun and if I do I bought reflective panels that I carry in the trunk
    Since I own it, I treated the leather dash and back shelve several times for it to stay soft and hydrated. My belief is that when leather dries out it shrinks

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think heat and climate have a lot to do with it. My car is generally inside, in the dark, and while I drive it, it's rarely in 90 degree plus conditions, and even more rare for me to park it in direct sunlight in those conditions.

9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I am not doing entire dash - that will cost $6,000 because of the mechanics of taking it apart and putting it back together - just doing leather over instrument cover and rear shelf and that is still $4,250

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Thanks. You are lucky if you only have to do the binnacle cover :)

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I could do the whole dash but just not sure I should put 6,000 more in interior - next year will have to do belts so now I'm up to leather back & front and belts totalling $15,000 plus or minus
    I love the car but will it go up enough to rationalize the investment

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I hear you. I just did major with belts and whistles :) this summer and am putting off the dash a bit - isn't really that noticeable yet...

13. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Using a cheap gas station sunshade and leaving the windows cracked an inch will really help fight sun damage from happening again. A two part leatherique treatment 2 times a year will keep the new leather hydrated also. One of the downsides of Ferrari using some of the best leather is it doesn't have all the chemicals to fight UV damage like high production cars. Light window tint is recommended also even if it's nearly transparent.

This is an example of a 612 dash we did. The glue and foam we use is made from aircraft cockpits and the thread is marine thread with a UV coating. The leather we leave original and just recommend the above maintenance to help slow everything down. We charge $4,500 for a full dash on a 612 and do it in house.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/bradan/479029-bradan-612-upholstery.html

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I never left the car in the sun - totally controlled 70 degree enviroment - it did it just sitting there! I agree its just the fine quality of the leather and its going to happen no mater what you do - of course they have a problem with headliners coming unglued also - happened in three of my Ferraris including my Scud while going about 155 mph - was actually kind of comical but still annoying - the backing had deteriorated

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Do you mean you just restrecthed the leather - I did that the first time I had it fixed but they told me i needed new leather this time

16. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    No once the damage is done the leather can't be saved. As it dries out from sun exposure it pulls back and changes the length of the original leather. Rehydrating it doesn't work. A nice trick we learned is to add additional staples to the back of the panel. So even if the glue becomes soft from sun exposure the staples will hold it in place not allowing it to pull back. You need to change the foam and glue though, regular upholstery material doesn't last.

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    So you used new leather on the 612 you completed and for only $4,500?

18. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Leatherique your leather twice a year to avoid these issues in the first place! That's my $.02

19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    What did they charge you for belts?

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's funny, because I've heard exactly the opposite. I've never done anything to mine, and it's still fine.

When I got the car, I asked the service manager about this, and he advised against it.

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I did some other stuff, as well as all hoses under the intake, bearings, cam seals, etc. - all the preventive stuff that some may skip on, and total bill was around $8k if I recall correctly. So, just belts would be less, but probably not that much due to syngergy on labor.

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  23. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Correct. We are normally cheaper then dealerships on upholstery because we do the the full job in house.

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The good guys r always a long way away

25. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I was just at lake norman 2 weeks ago picking up a car, we service the full east coast.