Impressed by ride with 612 Scaglietti | FerrariChat

Impressed by ride with 612 Scaglietti

Discussion in '612/599' started by MD355, Dec 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    #1 MD355, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    I've owned a 360 Modena manual gearbox since 2005 and have driven many mid-engined V8 Ferraris such as 360 CS, 430, Scuderia and 458...

Today my friend took me on a spin with his 2007 immaculate light Blue / tan 612 Scaglietti !!
    His car has the factory sports exhaust...

I had parked my red Ferrari 360 in front of my hotel and as soon as my friend with the 612 arrived, the bell hop of the hotel asked what car my friend was driving... I told him to wait for one second...

I walked up to my friend and asked him if his gearbox was in neutral... then I told him to floor it !!!

The V12 roared in a super complex mechanical masterpiece of a sound and as the revs dropped the V12 burbled !!!! Pure heaven !! The bellboy has smiling... Sure my red 360 screamed that it was a Ferrari, but the pure magic of the V12 engine combined with the discrete looks of the 612 gave another dimension to the Ferrari experience...

During the ride I was impressed by the build quality of the interior and the amazing ride of the car... Sure it didn't feel as nimble as the Modena or as brutal as my other car a Mercedes SL 55 AMG, but the engine felt very special !! And the V12 with factory sport exhaust made the most AMAZING SOUND !!

The rear of the car is very spacious and I really liked it... I always thought that the 612 was not a great looker, but it grows on you... The 612 has other qualities you get to appreciate... This got me into thinking about getting one...

I really like the fact that it is V12 and it has a rear seat...
    Also the interior (in tan hide) offers such a luxurious feeling, that I could get used to it...

What do you think of the 612 as a daily driver ? (15 mile commute each way, light traffic, safe parking) I now use the Mercedes SL 55 AMG it is great as a daily driver, not too flashy, powerful, but no V12 Ferrari...

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #2 raider1968, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It sounds about perfect!

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are a great car. I really like them. They are a bit of a boat, but they shrink around you as you get to know the car. Road noise IMHO should be much less in a GT like the 612, but that's about the only thing I can say bad about the car.

5. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Great car. Gees I missed mine!

6. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    I so want a TDF blue 612. My favorite car right now. Waiting for the right one to come along.

7. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Yes, they grow on you and ones you get that feeling its too late I am afraid
    As long as you don't have stop and go city traffic and have an underground parking it will be fine (leather shrinkage)

8. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

+1

I'm using my 612 more often to go to the office.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This might merit a separate discussion, but I am no fan of taking an exotic to the office. Can make the wrong impression on your co-workers; usually that your paid too much!

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That really depends on what your parking situation is, and who your coworkers are.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes there is another thread on the topic of driving an exotic to work with good points on both sides. When i was working there were both considerations about clients and a large group (100+) employees which I didn't think it would set well. But in my case the parking space was not covered and in front plain sight where clients and EE entered the building. So no exotics for me but I did drive a Merc to work.

12. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    Your drive to work sounds like mine except mines like 10 mi. I can't speak to the 612 as I have a 599 and it's my dd. I love the drive and I find it better than my gtr to live w on a daily basis. Go got it.

13. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    People react in a silly way when they see a Ferrari badge...

14. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I think it depends on the country. It would not be appropriate in the UK and even less so here in Switzerland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    The 612 is really a great car.
    I have the same one with the wonderful factory sport exhaust.
    You could use it as your daily driver car!