612 steering rack | FerrariChat

612 steering rack

Discussion in '612/599' started by MRY, Dec 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Anyone had to replace their leaky steering rack in a 612 recently?

Did you do oem? Rebuild? Use a cross referenced Maserati rack?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I haven't had any issues with the 612, but I did get my 456 steering rack rebuilt. It seemed to be pretty common. I'm sure you can find the thread, or other threads, in the 456/550 section.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    My previous 612 had a leaky rack and it was subsequently rebuilt by the dealer on trade in

I have been told it happens to them.

Even the rebuild is pricey and that's all I know- Sorry I can't be more help.

If anyone else has had this issue or knows who rebuilds them, it'd be nice to have the info here for others who may encounter this...

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I had my 550 rack rebuilt by ADCO here in Houston. Local company who do nothing but power steering work, and have been at it for decades.

They used the correct metric threaded outer tie rod ends, and filled in the pits and polished out the hydraulic cylinders from the corrosion due to water intrusion (mainly on the right side). They also rebuilt my P/S pump, and the total damage was very reasonable and less than $500 total, IIRC.

Beware of some rebuilders who will try to put Chevy tie rod ends on these racks. The Chevy parts have an imperial thread, not the correct metric thread, so they'll ruin the rack when forced on. We've had several 550/456 owners who fell victim to this mistake.

Welcome - Adco - Houston Power Steering Service and Supply

5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    This is Good info- Thanks for posting

I know when I traded my last 612, the dealer resold it and then charged the fellow about 8 grand to rebuild the rack w/labor. I'm feeling that's kind of harsh now

6. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Thanksgiving for the information. This makes sense, as I think it's just a TRW rack with metric threads and fittings..

Not sure why a rebuild should be 8k, as I didn't think it had iridium crystals in it!

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Nothing makes sense when it comes to Ferrari parts.......it's whatever the market will bear.

8. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I'm not sure what it costs to remove and replace the rack w/the rebuild, but it's not 8k and I've heard other stories too that just lead me to distrust dealers

These are a better class of car, but subject to the same games that plague the industry

As per the previous post- whatever the market will bear

9. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Getting the rack off does not seem difficult
    Rack rebuild is a very standard thing

10. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    My leaking, 17K miles, '09 rack is at the shop being rebuilt. Factory trained 599 technician at independent shop. 10 hours to remove and replace. The Rack rebuild sub'd out to shop in NY. All in about $3K.

11. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Had mine go out on the '98 F550, and it was $4500 for the kit.
    Should have had it rebuilt. But I wanted to know it was in there right by the Ferrari Dealer.
    The Labor was a staggering $3,000.... I was like "boys, boys, I don't want to buy part of the dealership".

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Back to the original post, likely it is a hose leak, not a rack leak.

13. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Was a hose leak that was fixed and I was then told I should think about rebuilding or replacing the rack....

So I thought to ask and see what if any experience was there about this....

Maybe I need to make some time and get the car up on my lift and spend an hour looking......?

14. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi MRY, Have a look from the top the rack is very visible, it is in the front of the engine if the leak is on the top it will be easy to localise.
    Check the pipe going from the steering fluid tank to the steering pump ( front of engine on the drivers side) It passes over the rack and usually leaks on the ABS unit
    I replaced mine and it leaks again, a friend of mine did it also with the same result, my theory is that the fluid tank gets slightly under pressure when at operating temp which gives no chance to the simple connection design and this is the reason why later cars have a vent on the cap with a pipe leading under the car
    Be very careful with oil in that area, you are very close to exhaust manifold and this is a possible fire hazard for the scaglietti.

15. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I just checked, actually, there is a vent on the earlier caps
    I have no clue why the pipes are leaking though

16. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Thanks for the note!! I will have a look this week when I get to the toy storage building.

Best regards,

Richard

17. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Had mine replaced. It was around $10k at the dealer. Shortly after a hose leaked...
    You get what you pay for?

18. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    I´ve the same problem with my 612.
    Last friday I ride for the first time this year.
    And I saw a pool of oil under the car.
    Where should I go to repair the leak here in Austria/Italy(Area Udine) or Germany?
    Thanks guys

Greetings from South Austria
    Chris

19. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Hi Chris, I tried to answer your email, not sure you have seen this
    Very likely to be the hose from steering oil tank to pump
    Check it from above
    A new hose and clamps will do
    Drain the oil with a syringe and silicone labe hose
    Make sure the hose you are removing is drained before being disconnected
    Do not tighten the clamps too much, just with a screw driver with force from your hand do not use sockets and ratchet...
    This is an easy job and can save you from a catastrophic fire, the 612 has hell under the bonnet when you drive it, oils leaks can be fatal, just look on ebay ....

Take care

Michel

20. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    Thanks so much Michel.
    i will check it on the weekend.

But I don´t get an email from you ...

Ciao and many greetings
    Chris

21. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    strange, I will resend it then

22. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Here is the content of the email, I have seen I replied to an address that was @ferrarichat... so not sure where it ended up

Hi Christian,

I bought a new hose and clamps and did it myself, it is very cheap, I ordered from redparts
    You have to drain the tank going with a pipe inside the hose you want to take out and suck the oil with a syringe
    Once done you can change the hose
    One key thing, do not tighten the clamps like crazy, and not with a socket and wrench , just with a screw driver