Way to ruin a 599! | FerrariChat

Way to ruin a 599!

Discussion in '612/599' started by f12luke, Jan 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f12luke

f12luke Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Luke Tarbuck
    We all know the 599 is very expensive, and with that you don't expect some dude to renovate one so that it goes sideways fast in smoke. Is is just me, or is this car meant to cruise round the alps, or even race on a track, but to take the Ferrari bits off, and replace them with ****ty aftermarket parts to make it slide on a car park. What do you think?

Search; A Ferrari 599 Transformed Into A Drift Car! - AllAutoExperts

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My guess is you cant afford a 599. Before you think im insulting you (because im not), let me explain.

Psychologically speaking, when most see something that is beyond their ability to acquire, they tend to covet those things beyond the material.

For me its a 288GTO. I'll never be able to afford one, and its my favorite car, so I place it up high on a pedestal and any modifications to one seem like blasphemy to me.

On the flip side. I modded the crap out of my BMW M Roadster and im sure some BMW purists were aghast at what i did.

And before you say you cant compare them, the only difference is price. The hands of God didnt put together the 599. Just a bunch of Italians. Whether you realize it or not, its only the price that makes the 599 special.

So to the wealthy guy, the 599 is no different than the M Roadster was to me. Just a toy to screw with for a while.

3. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Old saying:

"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

4. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    #4 dud, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I imagine that a 599 would be one of the best drift cars you could possibly use as a base. If you are into that sort of thing.

Any kind of performance driving off public roads will have wear and tear and see lots of parts replaced (worn down or upgraded). I don't think this is overall too special.

Link for original article:
    https://www.allautoexperts.com/ferrari/ferrari-599-transformed-drift-car/

The Ferrari isn't finished, but I don't perceive this Lamborghini as "ruined":

https://www.allautoexperts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ferrari-599-2.jpg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. f12luke

f12luke Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Luke Tarbuck
    Fair enough. Thank you for broadcasting your opinion.

6. f12luke

f12luke Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Luke Tarbuck
    I dont disagree, but 599's werent built to be modded like this one

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    What's more of a waste...a 599 being modified to race in any way, shape or form...or a 599 occasionally taken out for a trip to your favourite restaurant? :p

To each their own. :)

9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It doesn't matter what they were built for. That being said, the number one thing they are build for IMO is to be toys. Some have better taste than others how they choose to play with their toys. Hell, Ferrari has no qualms about even enforcing good taste or judgement in configuration. Seen some hideous builds over the years. That being said, I do agree with you that it's a shame to see such a perfect car modded. It's all personal taste, but I don't think even the more common mods, stiffening, lowering, exhaust, do a thing for the 599, all a step in the wrong direction. But it really is just one man's opinion. And if you can afford the toy, play with it any way you like. As with anyone I meet at a C&C, if you love your car, that's all that matters to me.

10. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    To each their own! :)

11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Then there's the relative quality of the mods people sometimes choose to bolt on.

12. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I prefer mods to be duct taped on last longer🙃😂

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Drifting is the waste. Don't get it at all.

Pete

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

actually, I think its no biggie

as long as you don't wreck the car, really what he/she does is to accelerate some wear and tear on the car, such as tires, suspension rubbers, etc.

Ruin is too big a word for some controlled and skilled drifting.

16. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    +2

It feels over played. Badass to see a car drift out of a corner but drifting in circles looks and sounds obnoxious. Unless your in snow🙃😂😉 and then it's just quiet and a blast. Use to love to pack snow in the wheels spinning in snow, as a teenager!

17. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Your point is well taken, but it is not just the price (or affordability) of the car. It is individual taste. Whether it is a car I can't (288 GTO) or can afford (a 360 or my Fiat), it doesn't matter. I wouldn't mod the crap out of it. But that's me. Each to his own.

18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Wait, aren't Ferrari's supposed to be race cars?

I would much rather see a 599 (and Murci) used like this than collecting dust in a garage with a "proper" owner.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Drifting is not racing.

Pete

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its just a car. Let the owner do what they want with it.

When you buy the car you can do what you want with it.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The difference between a 599 and a 288 is two fold. The 288s were built in really limited numbers, and the 288 was and is a seminal car. A 2888 is also the type of car no longer produced. A better compasrison would be to a 308 which while special and no longer produced are not exactly rare, so losing a few wouldnt affect anyones ability to get one or really affect the price in a measurable way..

The 599 is not really a great car or an exceptional ferrari even. It was produced in as many as ferrari could sell quantities. One more or less is irrelevant and does not affect anybodies ability to own one as there are plenty about.

Now 40 or 80 years from now when cars are all electric any gas powered car may be sacriledge to mod. But for now a 599 is just a car, like many modern ferraris its a fast car but not really a truly special or different car. Possibly not really more rare than a C6 z06 vette and arguably less acomplished.

Would we really cry if someone modded the crap out of a 488, its not really that special and are runnign off the assembly line as fast as people will buy. A speciale is different, its the last great looking ferrari and produced in limited numbers. Even 1 less regular 458 is not going to affect things, although i willa rgue its really great lookign and NA.

Plus I am willing to bet no one is building a drift car out of a pristine machine.

Some cars are just cars, some are something special to be preserved for time. A 599 is not one of those. No one cores when singer "improves" a 964 porche, we would cry if a 73 Rs were modded.

How and where that line is drawn is open to individual interpretation but there are clear sides at a certain point to most enthusiasts and those lines change with time/percieved rarity/specialness. Witness the 250 GTEs being cut into GTOs which in theory no one would do today, or 400Is going from being useless scrap to coveted.

What the Op maybe misses is that newer ferraris are for the most part, not really that special(there are exceptions) objectively, its a lot of branding.