OTO exhaust options | FerrariChat

OTO exhaust options

Discussion in '612/599' started by greybeast, Jan 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    #1 greybeast, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hopefully someone on this forum can clarify some confusion i have been having over exhaust options on the 612.

I have had my non-HGT2 612 OTO for a couple of months now. Its exhaust note is definitely different from gen 1 standard cars, but doesn't sound quite like the HGT2. "Sporty exhaust pipes" is on the window sticker - not "sport exhaust", and no double wall tips.

I peeked under the car the other day and part numbers 240524 and 240525 are stamped on the right and left mufflers. A quick search revealed those part numbers correspond to an exhaust i didnt know existed. In the link below you'll find 4 different available muffler types

"Silencer"

"HGTS/C silencer"

"Enriched version"

"Valid for 60th Anniversario" - this is the 240524 which I have

I always believed that the Sessanta had the HGTx exhaust. This information may suggest there was another type of exhaust for 2007 / sessanta models, which may also have been used on OTOs not fitted with HGT2?

Anyone with a sessanta - it would be great if you could take a look at your mufflers and post what part numbers you find.

Thanks!

Here is a picture of my muffler as well

REAR EXHAUST SYSTEM - Ferrari 612 Sessanta
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I believe there is another thread on this subject in the last year. You might try a search. And yes you're correct "sporty exhaust pipes" are not the same as HGT2 exhaust - not close as I have heard both back to back my OTO car has HGT2 and another car in the dealership had Sporty Exhaust Pipes and we tried both cars together. The difference was very noticeable. As I recall Taz has the answer if he chimes in on this thread.

3. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    #3 greybeast, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Was the "sporty exhaust pipes" car that u referred to an OTO or a gen 1?

I strongly suspect that the non-hgt2 OTO had a way different exhaust than gen 1 non-hgtx cars. The question more specifically is does the part number referenced above correspond to the sessanta mufflers, as we all know the sessanta was in many regards a prototype for the OTO.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The HGT2 exhaust system was modified compared to the standard pre-OTO system and the OTO standard sporty exhaust system. Not only were the mufflers and tailpipes different on HGT2, but the schedule for opening and closing the bypass valves was changed, too. It certainly sounds like the Sessanta exhaust became the OTO standard system, as did most of the prototype Sessanta features. The Sessanta was also available with an HGT1 system, and I would assume that system carried over to the HGT2, as well as the modified bypass valve schedule. Would need some parts numbers to confirm, but your finding of the Sessanta exhaust is a good first step in confirming what actually happened. Will look at some of my window stickers and see if I can see anything on exhausts, although Monroneys are not particularly trustworthy on standard features.

The changeover from Motronic 7.1.1 (F133F engine) to Motronic 7.3.2 (F133H engine) in 2007 precipitated most of these changes. HGTS and HGTC were not compatible with 7.3.2.

What Ferrari said about HGT2:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #5 randkin, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    The sporty exhaust was on a 2006 or 2007 and not sure if it had the HGTx package for the particular year. The discussion with the owner and service manager (after we compared the exhaust sounds) was about upgrading to the exhaust system to HGT2 type and if it could be done and cost. The service manager didn't know if the upgrade was possible and was going to check and get back to the owner of the gen1 612. Never heard if the upgrade was possible or what the cost would be. But it seems that I have seen a price sticker on a 2008 OTO car w/o the HGT2 package with "sporty exhaust pipes" as an option hear on another thread.

I would think a early 2008 non OTO car could be upgraded to the HGT2 exhaust system from the comments by the service manager but then he didn't specifically so state.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For a first gen 612, the HGTS/HGTC exhaust sounds great, especially with the valves open all the time or using a bypass valve remote.

7. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Yes that was me on another thread. My car (an '09). Another member clarified that "sporty exhaust pipes" meant the tailpipes were trumpet shaped and black when viewed from the side.

Purely cosmetic $650 option.

It would be great if there's a non-hgt1 sessanta owner on here who could check his mufflers to see if the part numbers match.

8. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Also, if that gen 1 car was not HGTx, then i would expect a huge difference compared with your HGT2. There is even a big difference in sound between those cars and mine. I guess the standard OTO exhaust is somewhere in between the two.

9. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Let us know if you have the bypass valves on this reference ?
    I thought the sporty exhaust tips was the "enriched version" it was a 500 $ option on the cars when new

10. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I have driven OTOs with Standard, Sporty Exhaust and HGT2 Sport exhaust options. The standard is very quiet with little or no additional pops or burbles, the Sporty Exhaust adds a little more volume and characterful noises on the overrun and the HGT2 Sports obviously is the loudest and most characterful with changing exhaust note throughout the rev range. As mentioned the Sporty Exhaust has a slight trumpet rolled tip shape and I think is slightly bigger diameter than standard and also cut straight (IIRC the standard exhaust is cut at a slight angle?). The Sports Exhaust is double walled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk