New to me 599GTB | FerrariChat

New to me 599GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jkay, Jan 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    #1 Jkay, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello All

Picked my first Ferrari today, a 599GTB. Still getting used to everything so can't comment too much yet, but the acceleration is definitely more than adequate.

Extremely extremely underwhelmed by the exhaust note tho, the stock 458 I was in last week sounds ten times better. I need to do something about this

First stop, fuel stop.... going to be spending lots of time here and looking forward to learning lots more from here

Thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BBM_S4

BBM_S4 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    CONGRATS JKay, she looks awesome. May you have many safe happy miles filled with smiles in her.

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Congratulations. I am delighted that the sale worked out well for you. Enjoy it by driving it all the time. Frank

4. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Thank you very much.
    They've ordered new tyres for me to replace the ten year old ones currently on the rear so I am not going to do much until the new rubber is here.

But apart from the disappointing sound in stock form, it blows me away in every other way

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Congrats! Beautiful!

Drive and enjoy in good health :)

6. BBM_S4

BBM_S4 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Is there a Novitec Pipe on the cards for you to fix that problem?? :) :)

7. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Oh yes indeed....The research on what my best option is begins now :)

8. BBM_S4

BBM_S4 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Nice Nice...
    nothing sounds as good as a Ferrari V12 that been set free :) ;-)

keep us updated as to the choices and then it will be time for video's so we can share in the new sound fo your V12.

9. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Definitely will do!

The sound is so restricted by whatever's on there now, I find it such a waste having that V12 and not being able to hear it

10. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Congratulations Jordan. Sound is easily fixed, add Fabspeed straight pipes in place of the secondary cats. When we meet up for a drive you will hear mine and I am sure you will pleased with what can be done.

11. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Congrats JKay, beautiful spec! I agree, unfortunately they are a bit underwhelming from the factory. Our secondary catbypass pipes open the exhaust up a bit but still retain factory mufflers so whether the valves are open or closed, the note is much more pronounced - but not overwhelming.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHLSUvshZQ[/ame]

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Easiest first step would be to set her up so the exhaust bypass valves are open all the time. Just involves removing and capping the hoses that go to the pneumatic valves on the tailpipes. If you like the sound, you can then consider getting a Capristo or other remote for the bypass valves.

If you are like a lot of folks and deaf from earbuds and loud music, something more drastic like different rear mufflers may be in order.

13. Backyard Buddy

Backyard Buddy Karting

Mar 8, 2015
    Looks fantastic. Congrats!!

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats and I wish you good luck with your new car!

15. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    MrF355 Id love to meet up for a drive soon. Waiting on new tyres and can't wait to hear yours in the flesh too.
    Travis from the clip that sounds great indeed. I shall be sending you a PM with some questions if you don't mind

Hello Taz, the fountain of all knowledge Ferrari. I've read many of your posts trawling through old stuff here and it's been great. I'm going to try keeping the valves open first. Car is going off for detailing and ceramic coating today but as soon as she's back I'm going to do that. Hope I don't mess it up

Cheers backyard buddy and nospinZone. My first ever Ferrari and it's still sinking in. Really enjoying it so far, and hoping the experience is a positive one

16. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Fire away! That's why I am here :)

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Hey Taz, i have an 07 612. I love the car but the exhaust sound is even more underwhelming than a 599. Is there a similar exhaust bypass valve fix for the 612? I would love to try it.

JKay, congrats. Awesome car. Drive the crap out of it and have fun. Love the color.

18. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    Congratulations! The 599 is my second Ferrari. It is an amazing machine with more horsepower than should be allowed for most people. Mine is stock, yet I just love the sound. To me it needs no more: people know this is a serious car.

Enjoy in good health, and please drive with respect.

Rick

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There was a thoro thread describing various options at the beginning of the month as I recall - no doubt others older too

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #20 tazandjan, Jan 24, 2017
    Ron- Affirmative, the same thing will work for the 612. I am pretty sure your valves are fail open, like the 599, so all that is required is pulling the vacuum lines and capping/plugging them. Another possibility is finding a set of HGTS/HGTC rear mufflers, which definitely sound better and even look better with the twin wall tailpipes.

This is a friend's old HGTS with the bypass valves open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEaYQNu2tVk

21. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Thanks Taz! Sounds easy enough. So I will start with pulling the vacuum lines and capping them. I will see how that sounds and go from there.

Ron

22. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    Congrats and enjoy in good health!
    The V12 is AWESOME!!!

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    very nice love the yellow calipers

24. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    #24 Jkay, Jan 25, 2017
    Thanks. Just been for a detail and coating this morning.... in my opinion, looks perfect as it is and just needs a better exhaust system

25. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    rosso corsa always works with a 599.

Enjoy her !

Daniel