612 Gen1 with first gen Tubi | FerrariChat

612 Gen1 with first gen Tubi

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    #1 swiss612, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I have been through the dilemma of the Gen 1 sound, the oem exhausts are certainly nice and quiet on the highway (as it was intended) but I wanted something more lively as my drive routes are more mountain passes like. I looked for a long time for a pair of HGT on ebay (impossible to get, you need to wait that a 612 set up on fire :) and be the first to jump on it) and I am happy I did not find any because the Gen 1 has no valve control and it would have been too loud in failed open mode.
    I recently made a good deal on a pair of tubi cans and I am delighted with it. We made an outing today with Jeremy (swiss edition Number 3 :) ) who has the factory HGT exhaust. In comparison HGT is louder in the low RPMs and idle but tubis are as loud (maybe sligthly louder) when you get some load and RPMS due the absence of valves which are shut then on the HGT
    Check yourself the soundtrack I attached and tell me if you like it (thanks to Jeremy for the record)
    The Tubi built quality is stunning in comparison to the oem version, a real masterpiece
    They are also lighter ( I would say 5KG on each side at least) and smaller
    The version I have does not correspond to the current tubi numbers so I assume this is an early tubi version, probably between the current quiet and loud version they propose
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    It actually sounded much louder and bassier than this on real life! Really changes the character of the car. If you were going to drive a 612 everyday then the stock exhaust is definitely the sensible option. But for occasional blasts up a mountain pass you want something that is more of an event and this Tubi certainly is that.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    HGT exhaust is loud initially, but once the car warms up, it's quiet unless you hit the throttle wide open. Overall though, the sound far outweighs any of the aftermarket options today- It's the perfect exhaust for the 612.

I had Tubi loud version on my last 612 and they were disappointing as opposed to the early version Tubis on my 456M which are perfect. I think your early version Tubis must be Super as well.

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I had the early Tubis on the 2006 612 I rebuilt from hydrolock. About a year ago, I found a set of HGT valved exhausts out of Germany and shipped them to the US.

I have the HGT exhaust installed and I have it plumbed with the required OEM equipment to work the valves. That being said, I am not sure my OEM ECU's are programmed to operate the solenoid properly (vs the cars that came with the HGT option). In any case, I wired up a switch which allows me to operate the exhaust in three modes.

(1) Valves open all the time (loud)
    (2) ECU controlled
    (3) Valves closed (quiet)

Even though I don't think mode (2) works properly, modes (1) and (3) do. And yes, I wired them properly as I am both a mechanic and an engineer.

I must say the sound with the HGT exhaust (in loud always mode) is must nicer than the (older) Tubis in my opinion. They were too mellow (and I am a mellowish guy).

That being said, the Tubis were nice and MUCH lighter and smaller as noted. Built really well. They were 11 years old, were perfect, and I sold them for $2,500 about 6 months ago to a guy in the Northeast.

Just another opinion to throw out there for ya!

5. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    By the way, the soundtrack is below the first post, not sure if people have seen it
    I must agree, HGT in open mode sounds great, and there is no substitute to it, finding the cans in second hand prove to be nearly impossible and new it is a 6K investment, also in fail open open mode they are very very loud.
    What I find great with the early tubis is that they are a great alternative to stock for the first gen cars that cannot have valve control, they are loud enough when you rev the engine, have nice pop on pedal lift off and are allowing confortable highway drives.

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have the factory valved HGT2 exhaust on my OTO

I would just like to mention again that I have it rigged so that my valves are open all the time. The open valves allow the car to make a nice growl on start up and while purring around the neighborhood.

But this growl goes away within a few minutes as the car warms.

When you open the throttle, the car will growl anyway, but with the valves operating as they should from the factory, the sole distinction is that with closed valves, the car is more civil/quieter on start up and around town until the engine is warm.

So the only difference I notice is that you can find growl before the engine is warm by keep the valves open. With factory settings, the car is civil until the throttle is wide open.

In any event, the factory HGT is exhaust is widely viewed as the best exhaust on the 612. I've had the loud version Tubi on my last car, and it doesn't compare to the factory HGT set up.

7. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Does anyone know what the programming is for the HGT exhaust, i.e. Under what circumstances is it open and closed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    ...and does the Sport button change anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    sorry for hijacking teh thread : Michel, your tubi has a different logo than mini despite similar first generation / I don't see "for competition" on mine and read at several occasions that there are 2 versions of the tubi, anyone knows how to find out which is which?

10. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I have the exact same Tubi Competition Only on mine as well. It isn't too loud but people say it sounds great outside of the car....I don't let anyone else drive so I guess I'll never know.

11. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I also get nice occasional backfires from WOT to a quick down shift, that does sound nice.