CTEK Battery Tender Question (picture attached) | FerrariChat

CTEK Battery Tender Question (picture attached)

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jkay, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    #1 Jkay, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got my charger and hooked it up to the 599 in the boot (rear)

Shouldn't I be getting a light indicating whether the battery is flat (!), half full or full ?

All I have is a light seemingly showing it's connected to the car

I'm probably missing something really stupid and obvious but can't figure what

Thanks

Edited to add: in the above pic it's connected to mains power (on) and connected to battery
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Yes, You would expect to see 1 of the lights on- turn the ignition on and see if the charger conne tion warning comes on. That will tell you the system has detected the charger, if it does not it might be your plug connection. I am talking from a 430 experience so slightly different.

3. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Thanks Mike I shall have a go and see what happens

4. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    #4 Jkay, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    It shows that the car knows charger is connected

Still same

I've since googled more for some answers and the charger could possibly be faulty. Just got the charger today as well bugger

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Pity u cannot connect it to a known charged battery, is the charger new ?
    Is that one the 0.8 amp output type, ok to float charge but ctek do a 5 amp version which is a lot better
    Put a voltmeter on the charger output to see if it has any output. Only other thing to note, these will not charge a fully flat battery, it needs to sense volts so it knows where it is and what to do.
    You can try conne ting up a conventional charger for a few hours then go back to this ferrari one

6. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    A friend had same issue and had it replaced by Ferrari.

7. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've had a number of Ctek chargers with issues connecting and charging, across a variety of cars. I believe I'm on my third in the past couple of years. They seem to be sensitive to the order in which they are connected to the charge point, and powered on, with whatever tech the units are using to 'sense' a battery is there to be charged.

8. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Got the charger today (used) and connected it to the car first then mains. No idea if it's the 0.8 amp output type.

Battery is ok tho and not flat. My 599 is going into the dealer Tomorrow for a new key to be ordered so I'll get them to have a look.

If the charger is indeed faulty I'll just have to purchase another. Annoying as I only just got this one today after waiting a week or two

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It looks like the 0.8 amp type, id label on the unit tells you. A better one is the ctek mxs 5.0 and it comes with some eyelet connectors you can wire up permanent to the battery or else where, you can also get an extension cable so you can run it to where you want in the car. A new ctek is a lot cheaper than a used one with ferrari on it, yet all made by ctek in sweden.

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    There are instructions on here how to make a pig-tail that allows you to connect a ctek to the standard 599/612/430 battery tender connection point. After my Ferrari ctek tender ate my 612 battery years ago, I made the pigtail, bought a more heavy duty ctek tender, and use the standard connection point in the trunk - this preserves the no-start-with-tender-connected feature. If you don't want to make it yourself, you can purchase from either of a couple of sources.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do you have a link where to get this ? Ta

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  13. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Thanks gents/ladies?

I'll see what dealership says tomorrow when I take it in for a new key.

14. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Why do you need a tender? I have never used a tender on any Ferrari I have owned and have never had a flat battery. Been on holidays, come back a month later and she fires up no problem.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Fine if u use every day, mine wont go for more than 3 days without it.

16. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's exactly how mine looks for my 612. It keeps the battery fully charged even though no other lights ever come on.

BTW, the CTEK is not a "charger", it is a "tender". If your battery ever becomes fully discharged, the CTEK will not recharge it (in fact no lights will come on if you connect it to a dead battery), you will need an actual battery charger.

18. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Thanks for the link to the ctek. They're apparently better than the Ferrari labelled ones (also made by ctek)

No spinzone interesting hownyours works but no lights come on. They're testing mine for me to see if it's faulty or not

I was advised by the service guys at FMS to keep it hooked up to a tender hence why. So far so good tho I haven't had any problems starting in the few weeks of ownership

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mine shows the green light just like your pic, but none of the other lights ever come on.

20. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Unfortunately I don't drive mine every day. Sometimes it can be 2 to 3 weeks and have no problem starting.

21. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    FMS has never advised me of this. Who advised you? was it a senior tech or service adviser?

22. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Was the service manager. Also wanted to add He's been great with me as well since I came in the first time about doing the PPI.

23. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I'm not sure that's right Paul. Admittedly mine was charged up by a friend's MXS 10 rather than the MXS 5 I have bought but I have no reason to believe the result would have been any different. It could be the standard Ferrari issue will not do it but I wouldn't say that applies to all Ctek.
    Personally if your charger is not showing all the lights just buy a new standard Ctek model. The new models are more advanced and there is no downside for a very modest $100 outlay.

24. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Ended up getting a CTEK MXS 5.0 and a Ferrari adapter

Works great and I believe much better than the Ferrari one

25. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    That's the same set up I have and I'm very happy with it. I may preemptively buy another adaptor just in case my Scud charger fails as they seem to be a little harder to find.
    There must be 12 other Ferraris of varying vintage parked in "my" garage and a quick walk around showed that almost all of them are still on the original charger. That would suggest they are quite reliable so maybe mine had been dropped or something? Can't imagine Ctek producing a version of the LaFerrari charger anytime soon, it's about the size and shape of a vacuum cleaner.