what to pay2l 2007 612 w $50k repair | FerrariChat

what to pay2l 2007 612 w $50k repair

Discussion in '612/599' started by f40carlo, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I'm looking at a 2007 612 Scaglietti with HGTC package and 25,000 miles. 25000 mile service done 30 months ago. Everything is in order but there is a $50,000 collision....on Car Fax.. front wheel seperated....not an actual collision.

Opinions as to what to pay. Serviced by Ferrari dealer only and owned since 2010 by this owner. Purchased with 17000 miles.

Thank you, in advance, for your opinions and comments everyone.
    Carlo

2. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Personally i would never buy a car that did not have a clean Carfax and I know there are a number of others out there that feel the same way. So this might just be a great "disposable" car if you could get it at the right price where you could drive it until it drops AND you had it checked out and it was in perfect condition (a poorly repaired Ferrari could eat you alive).

However, I see a couple of red flags in your post. 25,000 miles is not considered low mileage and would cause a price drop even on a "clean" Ferrari. Also, you say it has 25,000 miles and the 25,000 servicing was done 30 months ago. What happened since? Sitting is not good. Also even if it is sitting you should have it annually serviced. So if it wasn't that's another red flag. I previously looked at a 612 that had 10,000 miles on it but it had essentially sat for 3 years. The dealer told me that it was going to cost $16,000 to get it in order (and that was with no real problems). So i passed on that one.

3. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I had a 2006 same colour same.HGTC . Never had any issues except that it caught on fire and burned to the ground. .....More thoughts and a $ estimate...btw I likely will keep it ...no intentions of selling

4. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    ....please....more thoughts from more members...especially 612 owners or dealers (it is a private sale so you're not bashing/insulting another peer auto dealer) Thank you, in advance. f40carlo

5. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    A non HGTC with a clean carfax and that kind of mileage would fetch $80 to $90 K assuming everything checked out. Maybe you think about that as the right price. Essentially the additional value of the HGTC being offset by the accident value decrease. If you plan to keep it and drive it, maybe that gets you close enough and you don't worry about it if it drives great.

On Autotrader right now there is an 07 HGTC with slightly better mileage listed for $119K. Of course the buy price is likely somewhat less (people often say 10 percent).

My gut tells me that there should be at least a $30 K price reduction for the accident. I have seen 612s with a dirty carfax listed in the past having that kind of reduction though of course I have no idea what they actually sold for.

So all different ways to get to maybe around $80K assuming it is presently in good condition and fully serviced.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How do you know it was not in a collision? What is the asking price?

7. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Hi RonH! The car listed on Autotrader is in fact the one I am looking at. As wonderful as I KNOW 612 Scagliettis are, they have very few buyers, and even less so now that they are a decade old. There is a fabulous selection of luxury family cars that can be had for a similar investment or less, and be brand new. He was pretty open to $90k. However after chatting witha few owners and dealers, and recognizing that there are no Buyers for these beauties.....I think I am going to offer around $75000 given the Carfax. I'm anxious to see what will happen...I'm offering almost 40% less than he is asking. However, I think it is the right $$ for thos specific car. IMHO....lol

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Carlo, that sounds like a reasonable plan and likely in the ballpark of value.

However, I am surprised he didnt disclose the accident in the ad. The car is certainly not worth $119K with an accident.

Your rationale of comparing to new luxury cars is similar to mine. When i bought my 612 i looked around at the new luxury cars that i could buy for a similar price, realized that the 612 was a more unique and fun car and realized that all of those new luxury cars would take some pretty big depreciation hits. So i was content with getting the 612 and i was not overly concerned with resale value because i planned on keeping it for a long time. My other daily driver is presently 12 years old and i have owned it for 10 so i have a history of that.

If you get it for $75 k i think you can drive it for a long time and enjoy it. If you bought a new BMW for that price now, 3 years from now it would only be worth maybe $30 K and you would have had a lot less fun. I would also say that i was comparing mine to new luxury cars in the low 100s, not 75K cars and i still think that is a valid comparison and so, so much the better for you!

The key is to make sure it is a good car so the repairs dont eat you alive.

Good luck!

Ron

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Ask for photos of the damage. I'd never buy a hit car that didn't have photos of what happened. Make your decision from there. Ferrari parts can add up fast so $50k could've been superficial best case scenario.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When was the collision? Does the car have a several year history of routine usage and service following the accident by the same owner? I owned a Ferrari that had such a history, took a good front offset impact year 1 into it's life and then half a dozen years of normal usage thereafter by the original owner. If the car didn't change titles right after repairs, and if it didn't keep going back to the shop, I wouldn't be that concerned. Worked out fine for me. I had no issues buying, driving or selling said Ferrari, won car shows with that one like shooting fish in a barrel.

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Hey, I see the car you were interested in was just listed on e bay for $98K. So he is dropping the price. Interesting that he is disclosing certain "issues" with the car but not the $50K accident!

12. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Carlo,

RUN away! Two major things to consider here. Resell interest and value along with insurance. Once a car like that has been damaged - Insurance could likely pay ACV vs. replacement. Doubt that would happen - but stranger things have occurred.