How to remove 612 double din Bose radio? | FerrariChat

How to remove 612 double din Bose radio?

Discussion in '612/599' started by ar4me, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #1 ar4me, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As the title says... I have taken most plastic pieces out of the car to have them refinished by Dave. I am a bit stuck with the Bose double din head unit. As you can see in the picture I have everything below it out. With the unit in place it is not possible to remove the side trim pieces as there are screws at the top right and left corners of the trim (or so it appears from the 612 WSM), obscured by the head unit. I do not see any quick release points as with the older single din Becker units. The 612 WSM seems to only deal with the older single din Becker head units... I have tried Google, etc. nothing, except a YouTube video where it is evident that the side trim pieces are removed, well one side, and the other side appears to be pulled away a bit.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkLsGO8Y80[/ame]

Anyone taken a double din Bose head unit out...? Any pointers would be much appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Jes,

I'm still awaiting on the answer regarding the seat control connectors. Tech has been busy. If you don't get an answer on this here, I will get one.

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Dave - thanks for all the help. I have seat controls out. Radio the remaining challenge...

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Cool. I can reach out to a different tech tomorrow. Shoot me an email tomorrow when you take lunch as I have a crazy busy morning :)

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #5 ar4me, Feb 16, 2017
    So:
    - remove rear vent, pic1
    - remove screw underneath, pic 2
    - remove screw in center
    - slide lower tunnel cover back to free center console side trim pieces, pic 3
    - with screws for left side console side trim panel out (except one...) it is now entirely free, except for the point marked with arrow in pic 4...

As can be seen on this parts diagram from RicambiAmerica there is (likely) a screw behind there...
    TUNNEL - FRAMEWORK AND ACCESSORIES - Ricambi America, Inc.
    Seems like a chicken and egg problem: to get to screw to take panel out stereo needs to come out, to get stereo out panel needs to come off... Note that the workshop manual conveniently makes no mention of a screw by the red arrow, though it does for the right side. All other screw locations for the left side console side trim panel are all pointed out individually in the workshop manual - could it be there is only a clip by the red arrow, and it is a matter of just pulling on it... it does not feel like it...

What is the trick...?

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #6 ar4me, Feb 16, 2017
    Borrowing the parts picture from Daniel's side - hope it is ok...

I have marked with a red arrow the attachment point I can't get to in order to remove the left side center console trim panel...

I can not get to back of radio from underneath, and top does not seem likely either. I released one of the vents above, but see no access to below...

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #7 ar4me, Feb 18, 2017
    To answer my own question in case someone else should face this task in the future. Despite what the 612 WSM says and what the parts diagram shows, there are no screws at the top corners of the console side panels by the Bose. There are two pins, and you simply pull straight towards the back of the car. I had all screws out and that was the trick...

Some pictures below... Next ship all the stuff to Dave for refinishing. The interior plastic really wasn't that sticky, a few buttons were, but while I was at it, I decided to make a preemptive de-sticky strike... Since I have so much of the interior apart I will like go ahead and remove the dash as well, and have the leather on the top re-done... What a little OCD and a few sticky buttons can do to you... ;) I was thinking of trading it in on a 2014-2015 FF, but working on this have made me re-bond with it :)

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #8 Dave rocks, Feb 18, 2017
  9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    LOL... So, should I... You sent me that picture last week, I think... Don't scratch your head when you see all my parts - it's a pile :) Most aren't really that sticky, definitely nothing like your other pictures, but you can tell that it is just a matter of time ;)

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #10 ar4me, Feb 22, 2017
    So, with the two boxes of parts on their way to Dave for refinishing I pulled the dash from my 612 to have the leather redone. I am doing the binnacle as well, although it is fine, in order to make sure I have a perfect match of the leather. Craig at FastCars advised me it would be nearly impossible to match it perfectly. Anyway, dash, binnacle, and passenger airbag cover are off for new leather, and nearly all plastic parts in the car are going to Dave for refinishing.

I followed the 612 WSM for removing the dash, and some parts are not mentioned, and others are not necessary. Part of this is likely due to it being for the early 612 - mine is a 2007 HGTC with the Bose double din. The WSM says to remove steering wheel, F1 shifters, and steering column stalks, but I do not believe this is necessary. Although I did it, I realized that it is easier to remove the lower part of the dash on the driver side prior to removing the dash - this should make it possible to remove dash without pulling the steering column related items. Additionally, a couple of screws that must be removed are omitted, a single wire from the double din Bose goes with the dash. Other than that it is pretty complete. The manual also does not mention the detachment of the air ducts (one on each side of the center console), but they come apart naturally when dash is pulled... ;) Front part of the headliner does need to come out in order to take the A-pillar trim pieces out, which is necessary to pull the dash.

With all plastic parts out for refinishing it was not a ton of extra work to pull the dash, although it wasn't negligible either...

11. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Awesome job... Just Do it.

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #12 ar4me, Mar 14, 2017
    Got dash back re-upholstered, and put it back in. With nuts and bolts carefully bagged and labeled it was straightforward to put back together.

Now I just need Dave to finish his magic on the plastic parts, and it can all go back together :)

If you have center tunnel and console apart to pull plastic parts for refinishing it is not that much further to pull the dash for new leather - a big time saver to do everything at once.

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #13 ar4me, Apr 28, 2017
    Makuono likes this.