Leather for 599 | FerrariChat

Leather for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by tcw, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    After 17 hours I finally got the dash out of my 599 so I could redo the leather and replace the plastic vents. I took the dash to the guy who has done work on my other cars but his samples just don't look quite as smooth a grain as the original (if it is really leather). Can anyone recommend a supplier? Or would anyone use or has used some of the other products like remanufactured leather or high end vinyl (note not wanting to start a pissing contest as to whether this is heresy or not :))?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Why do you need to replace your vents?

Regarding leather, I searched high and low, got samples from 5 or 6 places and Coach Trim had the best leather, color and texture for my 355. Not sure Johann will sell leather as he does turn key work but call him and tell him I sent you.

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Where are you located?
    I have restored the interior on a few F cars recently, and most shops here have the same books. There is a smooth grain and a textured leather for Ferrari in them.

I tried reman leather, and the sheen was noticeably different. I used a matte finish on it which made it very close, but I wouldn't recommend it for a dash. That said, I wonder what BMW or Porsche uses for their synthetic leathers. I have a shop I can ask.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #5 Dave rocks, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The leather Coach Trim uses (at least for my projects) comes from Austria. Give Johann a call and discuss with him.

In this photo, the sample from Coach Trim is held against my pristine leather from my 98 355
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for your responses. I am in central and northern California and I am changing the vent plastic because one has an edge that has broken off and the other one has a distorted edge. I am unable to post a picture at this time. Once the project is done I will try to post my pictures of the process.

The only reason I am thinking about other options to leather is that this is the 3rd Ferrari I have owned and all have had this leather shrinkage problem. The 550 was not too bad but the Testarossa literally had the binnacle distorted so bad that I had to cut the fiberglass and reshape it. I have not had this happen on any of my other car brands. Since I will probably keep this car a little longer and it takes so much effort to get the dash out I don't want to go through it again.

7. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I spoke with Coachtrim today but unfortunately he only had enough of the Poltrona Frau nero leather to work on a project he is doing now. The leather he actually uses is from Garrett Leather and is called Arri Trac since the Poltrona Frau leather is made for Ferrari under license. Therefore Garrett can't use the name. Poltrona Frau is the Italian manufacturer. Coachtrim then recommended Veteran Leather with a part number of A3016 but when I called them they hadn't heard of it but were going to send me a sample card. They sell Andre Muirhead and Bridge of Weir as well as an aviation (fire retarded) grade Douglas leather. So the search continues. Coachtrim says it takes about 1/2 a hide for the project (about 30 inches by 70 inches of usable hide). Perforated leather is done by the manufacturers with standard patterns like in the seat. So the search continues....

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    LMAO!! I just looked up Garrett Leather and they are in Buffalo, NY and so am I :)

Too funny...