Buying advice/help: 2007 599 GTB | FerrariChat

Buying advice/help: 2007 599 GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by eldubya, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eldubya

eldubya Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Hi folks, wanted to get your help/advice as I am looking to upgrade from my 360 into a 599. In particular:

1. Any thoughts on what to look out for, and any big problems/gotchas with the 2007 599s? I am a current F-car owner, so well aware of the little quirks of the 360 and what to watch out for, but don't know the 599 all too well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Anyone here happen to know this car (Used Ferrari 599 gtb fiorano- at Scottsdale Sport of San Francisco Serving Burlingame, CA )? From what I can tell after having inspected it, it looks good visually, but from the autocheck it seems to have changed hands a few times and that makes me a bit cautious (esp b/c it looks too perfect)...also, any private feedback on the selling dealer greatly appreciated too if anyone has had an experience with them (positive or otherwise).

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

That car looks really nice. I would have someone do a PPI, clutch wear is probably good on that car due to low miles. The most expensive issue is leaky shocks. I don't know if it is time or miles, or a combo of both, but they are very expensive to replace.

Other than that, expect it will cost a bit to maintain. But it is an awesome car, hard to beat it.

4. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I made the same swap. The 360 handles a lot better than the 599, obviously, and is easier to flick around in the canyons and the suspension settles down quicker (not as much wallowing). My 360 was a spider, so added enjoyment there. However, I like my 599, more refined/modern than the 360 and no where near the problems that I had with the 360. My 360 had the Stadale exhaust so it sounded better than my 599 with cat bypass pipes:(. I didn't do much canyoning in the latter years of the 360 ownership and I don't do any with the 599 now so the inadequate feeling with respect to hard canyon driving is not there.

5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Be sure to review the 599 buyer's guide that appeared in the August 2014 issue of FORZA magazine (#135). When I was shopping for my car I created a worksheet with all of the key issues that had been reported by owners with whom I had spoken as well as the FORZA guide. It also helped me make easy comparisons between cars as all of the information was there in one spot. Be alert to key factors such as brakes (steel versus carbon), wheel size, service history, sticky switches and items included with the car.

6. musiconsult

musiconsult Rookie

Aug 9, 2016
    Lauf , Nürnberg area
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I bought a 599 GTB last year in Berlin. Grey with cream leather, 2008 year, very classy. It looked like new, had 30.000 km on the clock. But it was a Hangar Queen, the wealthy owner had it in the Garage for a few years and drove it very rarely. He was more into Bentley for day to day.
    I am also flying airplanes and before you buy a plane you usually do a pre purchase inspection. So I did insist that seller allows us to do this with the car and he agreed. We did it at an official Ferrari dealer. First we asked the to read out the diagnosis. It tells you already a lot about the car and how it was treated. The values were all in good limits. Also read clutch and break use. During the PPI we found 2 leaking shock absorbers (probably due to lack of use). Also a leaking oil cooler. A flash light switch which occasionally does not work (contact problem but switch which is inside the steering wheel column is sealed so we need a new one)
    Seller was very fair and paid the costs. I am enjoying the car. One thing which is a bit annoying is that the 20"Challenge wheels are not very comfortable when driving slow. Too bumpy. Also, in slow sharp turns and when parking the front tires produce an annoying noise. I am notva very aggressive driver and had a 575 Maranello before. The 575 was more comfortable. The Becker Nav Maps can not be updated. Other than that a very enjoyable Power cruiser.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

7. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Your 599 sounds damn good when I heard it at Randy's shop the other day!!

8. eldubya

eldubya Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

9. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    Good luck on that car! Let us know if you get her!

10. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I inquired about that car a few weeks ago and it looks like it is a really nice one. Good luck with your search.

11. deshapiro

deshapiro Karting

Sep 25, 2015
    Im also in the market for a 599. My sense, after talking and reading,
    is that the crucial issues are a complete, regular service record and the
    fewest number of owners. Some were used in Ferrari track programs and beat to crap.
    I found quite a few cars that look great, with spotty or inconsistent records. Pass!!
    This one looks really good. I didn't consider it since I don't fit the sport seats. Too narrow for my shoulders. And a pre-purchase inspection by an independent, knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic is also crucial.
    Good luck with your search,
    David