612 passenger side window | FerrariChat

612 passenger side window

Discussion in '612/599' started by defros, May 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    My window goes down freely, but seems to be in a limp mode when going up. The first 4 times I attempt to raise the window, I hear a clicking sound but the window does not go up. On the 5th try, the window goes up a small amount and then stops. As I keep moving the switch, it raises up the same small amount each time, until it gets to the top. Any ideas as to what might be the problem? I am guessing the micro switch, but they are not sold separately.

2. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    What happens if you open the door? is it still the same?
    I am thinking about the mechanism or motor or door seal slowing down the window due to an adjustment issue and rising the amperage and make the relay cutting the juice
    Could simply be the motor being dead, or relay, not sure if electric window still work like this nowadays but it is worth checking the manual and finding it for testing

3. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    It is the same if the door is open and closed. I removed the door panel and there is nothing keeping the window from freely moving up. When the motor is wired directly to a battery it goes up and down without any issue.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Same regardless of using either of the switches for the passenger window? That would rule out a bad switch. In that case, maybe a bad relay (assuming it uses relays for the windows)...

5. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Yes,it does the same thing, regardless which switch is used.

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I looked up the (incomplete) 612 workshop manual I have, but it does not identify the window regulator relay. Or, I can't find it... :(

7. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Let me try to look it up this weekend

8. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Cannot find any relay in the owners manual, it must be an electronic relay in the switch
    however that may not be the issue, if your motor draw too much current, relay is going to cut off circuit
    If you said you checked the mechanism for smooth functioning, then it is either the motor or the switch panel to change
    Try the motor connected to the switch but disconnected from the window mechanism, if symptoms are the same then it is likely your switch pcb to be changed, if it turns ok it could be the motor however this is not 100% sure as a defective motor may draw too much current under load and could be turning ok when disconnected from all load

I would also try to use contact cleaner on all parts, PCB and motor as well on all plugs, if you have some corrosion it will also draw more current
    Let us know what you find

9. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    There's no window relay. It is controlled by a module and the regulator.

I would try a battery disconnect and reconnect. If that doesn't work, find someone with a scanner and test the module. Any true scanner has Ferrari software now. Matco and Autel for certain do. I have Autel Maxisys and it has the software.

Should be a simple diag with the scanner.

10. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Tried a battery disconnect and it had no effect. Thinking I need to take it to the dealer at this point.

11. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Once the window finally reaches the fully closed position and the switch is placed in the down position, it is impossible to stop the window. It will go completely down. It is consistently the same each and every time.

Running out of ideas and most likely will schedule an appointment with the dealer next week. I will make sure to post the outcome.

12. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    My 2 cents from similar problem in a domestic car.

Does the window power go through a Fuse or a Circuit breaker? Most domestic cars use circuit breakers for the window power, and I have seen them trip early before they fail completely. This results in the Breaker getting warm from current flow and trip. Then when it cools, even for a second or two it will work again .. for a second or two.

Easy to tell, it would be located in the fuse box but look like a rectangle metal can about the size of a large fuse. Easy to swap out with the drivers, and see if it works. Cheap repair and it sounds exactly like your problem. PS it’s not a relay.

13. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    A little update. Took the car to the dealer and the problem is with the door seal. There is a pinch sensor in the rubber and it is creating a false signal to the computer. Dealer says I need to replace the seal and everything will be fine again.

14. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    The seal cost 1000 USD, I would make sure the sensor is indeed the culprit here
    It is simple to check, take the B pillar trim, and plug an ohmmeter at the connector
    To take the B pillar you need
    1) take the screw on the coat hanger out
    2) take the seal along the B pillar trim out
    3) pull the trim out, it is clipped on the bottom part
    You will then see the connector and you can test it

15. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Do you know how many ohms it should be? I know the seal is $1000 and it looks brand new. Hard to believe that is the problem, but that is what the dealer is telling me.
    Seems like I could bypass it with a resistor.

16. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I have a spare passenger seal at home that I bought on ebay once
    sensor free = 1200Ohm
    Sensor pressured= closing the circuit = 0 Ohm
    well worth checking... if this is it, i can sell you mine, it is not new but youll get it for a fraction of the price, let me know what you find and PM me if you are interested

17. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    The car is still at the dealers. I will tell them not to do anything and pick it up tomorrow. Once I check the ohms, I will let you know.

18. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Just wanted to follow up and confirm the seal was bad. Not really sure what caused the part to no longer provide the correct ohms, but as soon as a new seal was installed, the problem went away.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Good to hear you got it sorted.

20. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I am happy for you that it worked, did the garage diagnose this with their Ferrari Diagnosis computer or just basic electrician skills ?

21. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    They used the computer.