Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 612/599

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Dima
612 passenger side window

My window goes down freely, but seems to be in a limp mode when going up. The first 4 times I attempt to raise the window, I hear a clicking sound but the window does not go up. On the 5th try, the window goes up a small amount and then stops. As I keep moving the switch, it raises up the same small amount each time, until it gets to the top. Any ideas as to what might be the problem? I am guessing the micro switch, but they are not sold separately.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Michel
What happens if you open the door? is it still the same?
I am thinking about the mechanism or motor or door seal slowing down the window due to an adjustment issue and rising the amperage and make the relay cutting the juice
Could simply be the motor being dead, or relay, not sure if electric window still work like this nowadays but it is worth checking the manual and finding it for testing
Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss612 View Post
What happens if you open the door? is it still the same?
I am thinking about the mechanism or motor or door seal slowing down the window due to an adjustment issue and rising the amperage and make the relay cutting the juice
Could simply be the motor being dead, or relay, not sure if electric window still work like this nowadays but it is worth checking the manual and finding it for testing
It is the same if the door is open and closed. I removed the door panel and there is nothing keeping the window from freely moving up. When the motor is wired directly to a battery it goes up and down without any issue.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jes
My Garage
Same regardless of using either of the switches for the passenger window? That would rule out a bad switch. In that case, maybe a bad relay (assuming it uses relays for the windows)...
Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar4me View Post
Same regardless of using either of the switches for the passenger window? That would rule out a bad switch. In that case, maybe a bad relay (assuming it uses relays for the windows)...
Yes,it does the same thing, regardless which switch is used.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jes
My Garage
I looked up the (incomplete) 612 workshop manual I have, but it does not identify the window regulator relay. Or, I can't find it...
Old 05-20-2017, 02:39 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Let me try to look it up this weekend
Old 05-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Cannot find any relay in the owners manual, it must be an electronic relay in the switch
however that may not be the issue, if your motor draw too much current, relay is going to cut off circuit
If you said you checked the mechanism for smooth functioning, then it is either the motor or the switch panel to change
Try the motor connected to the switch but disconnected from the window mechanism, if symptoms are the same then it is likely your switch pcb to be changed, if it turns ok it could be the motor however this is not 100% sure as a defective motor may draw too much current under load and could be turning ok when disconnected from all load

I would also try to use contact cleaner on all parts, PCB and motor as well on all plugs, if you have some corrosion it will also draw more current
Let us know what you find
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

There's no window relay. It is controlled by a module and the regulator.

I would try a battery disconnect and reconnect. If that doesn't work, find someone with a scanner and test the module. Any true scanner has Ferrari software now. Matco and Autel for certain do. I have Autel Maxisys and it has the software.

Should be a simple diag with the scanner.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescars View Post
There's no window relay. It is controlled by a module and the regulator.

I would try a battery disconnect and reconnect. If that doesn't work, find someone with a scanner and test the module. Any true scanner has Ferrari software now. Matco and Autel for certain do. I have Autel Maxisys and it has the software.

Should be a simple diag with the scanner.
Tried a battery disconnect and it had no effect. Thinking I need to take it to the dealer at this point.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Once the window finally reaches the fully closed position and the switch is placed in the down position, it is impossible to stop the window. It will go completely down. It is consistently the same each and every time.

Running out of ideas and most likely will schedule an appointment with the dealer next week. I will make sure to post the outcome.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed

My 2 cents from similar problem in a domestic car.

Does the window power go through a Fuse or a Circuit breaker? Most domestic cars use circuit breakers for the window power, and I have seen them trip early before they fail completely. This results in the Breaker getting warm from current flow and trip. Then when it cools, even for a second or two it will work again .. for a second or two.

Easy to tell, it would be located in the fuse box but look like a rectangle metal can about the size of a large fuse. Easy to swap out with the drivers, and see if it works. Cheap repair and it sounds exactly like your problem. PS it’s not a relay.