Going to drive 400 miles, any advice | FerrariChat

Going to drive 400 miles, any advice

Discussion in '612/599' started by Alcav5, Jun 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    So I'm going to be driving my '09 612 from lower NY to Montreal, 5 1/2 hrs .
    Last service was 2000 miles/10 months ago.
    I'll check the tires. Should i be concerned about oil, should i bring some with me?
    Is there anything else i should consider?

Thanks.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would think the oil is still fine 10 mo after your service. You can always check it before leaving.
    If the tires are good, i would just worry about enjoying the drive!

3. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Bring your radar detector :).

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Meh - just state you for mph and km/h mixed up. :)

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Have fun?

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If you don't already have it, download the Ferrari Roadside app and register the car. It worked well when I was losing air in a tire and could not make it to the dealer despite stopping at a couple of rest areas to pump it back up with a portable compressor. I believe it's free no matter how old the car is.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Take pics?

We just took our 911 on a 2500 mile trip, and I had the annual service done right before, a month or so early. Necessary? Who knows. But, worth the peace of mind. Definitely, check the tires, and replace if needed. I replaced the rears as they were getting close to the wear bars. Again, they might have been OK, but I didn't want to be worrying about them in the back of my mind while carving up the Tail of the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd do likewise with your 612. It's cheap insurance for a worry free vacation...T

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    radar detector?

9. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
  10. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
  11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    The thing that worries me on road trips is a flat. I did have an air compressor but recently I went one better and got a donut spare. I have not used it but it makes me feel better. I also have AAA. That's probably all you need before a road trip (and a full tank of gas 😀).

12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Suggest you locate your tow hook (should be in your car's tool kit), and try test fitting it.

If you have a breakdown, AAA or any other wrecker service will want this when winching your car onto the flatbed. There are other methods of getting the car onto the flatbed, but most services prefer to use the tow hook.

The coupling that the tow hook screws into behind the front grille is often clogged with road crud, so you may need to clean it out with a brass wire brush (like those used in a shotgun cleaning kit). You can chuck the brush & one section of rod into a battery powered drill, lube it up with some WD-40 or PB Blaster, etc. then run it into the coupling a few times. Dry it out with a rag and you should be in business.

A number of owners have ruined their hooks and/or the coupling because they either cross threaded the hooks, or the coupling was plugged up, and the hook/coupling threads galled.

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I had to reread the title as I too thought OP meant 4000 miles

These cars are not that fragile at the best of times and the more modern ones even less so - a 400 mile trip should be the new normal

Ferrari's free coverage (With You) plus AAA or equivalent for flat and off you go - oh and a charger for your phone

14. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Agree! Taken mine in several 1000 plus miles trips (Amelia show, Daytona event last year, Tampa) without any issues at all. The car is a dream on the highway and if you find some country roads to break up the trip even better. I always bring a battery charger b/c over the years I have learned to not trust exotic car batteries. Have fun

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks all.

Good stuff, I'm def going to check out the Ferrari coverage and my tool kit.
    I do have AAA, built in radar detector and battery charger.

It'll be the first long trip in this car for me. 400 miles, roughly 5 1/2 hrs straight. I'll be watching the gauges all the way.

:)

16. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    #16 nart, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    A 400 mile trip in a modern Ferrari is what its all about. There are two items I would bring along. First is a ten dollar "tire in a can" from any auto parts store. The second, a good quality tire plug kit. While your car comes with a Ferrari provided compressor and a can of sealant, it will be far cheaper to try the $10 aftermarket fix first and it will do the same thing as the $400 Ferrari solution. Secondly, if you do get a puncture you have a good shot you may be able to plug it yourself and you already have a compressor in the tool kit to refill the tire. These two items are inxpensive, don't take up much room and are worth having no matter how far you are going. Lastly, enjoy the trip and don't stress over it...that's what they are made to do! One more thing, watch the road and the scenery and don't spend your time watching the gauges...it's a beautiful ride and the 612 will be just fine!

Two more things to consider. Make sure you check with your cellular provider about service in Canada...sometimes you can purchase International Service for the trip and avoid a shockingly expenisve bill. The second is don't get caught speedomg or with a radar detector...they are very serious about it in Canada!

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Nart, I agree with a set of plugs and, from experience, they are easy to use with the compressor. A great backup if you don't have a spare.

But I don't agree with the tire in the can. It can mess up your tire pressure monitor and cost you a lot in the long run. The plug is easy to do and will fix anything that tire in a can will.

18. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    I forgot to mention the most important items you need. You must have passports, passport cards or enhanced driver's licenses to cross the boarder!

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, I never thought about that. I'm going to check those threads. I know I have to occasionally clean leaves and other crud out of the radiator grille.

20. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    When you are stranded on the side of the road, one tire pressure monitor and a clean up mess are not at all important. It may or may not be possible to get a plug in with the tire still on the car and there are leaks that sealant may fix that a plug will not. The Ferrari provided fix is selant and a compressor. The tire in a can is a much cheaper solution and a second opportunity to fix the flat. With no spare, no jack and no lug wrench these are inexpensive tools to help in an emergency.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Finding a good lunch spot on the way?

22. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    PM sent to OP. A bunch of us are driving to Montreal on Thursday morning -- PM me for details if anybody wants to join in.

Eugene

23. Wdemuynck@hotmail.com

Mar 24, 2015
    Izegem Belgium
    Full Name:
    Willem Demuynck
    Did 5000 miles last year, from belgium to Maranello , took a week to drive over all the swiss mountains, my 2009 612 was the best car possible ( the sound in the swiss tunnels and mountain passes) two kids (13 and 10) in the back, luggage without suitcases in the trunk , i still have a smile on my face when i think about it

24. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I forgot I posted this ques. I did go out and get a tire repair kit and happily didn't have to use it.

My excursion was great. Yes, the 612 was the best possible ride, so comfortable and powerful. 400 miles was about 5 hours for me.