599 steering column | FerrariChat

599 steering column

Discussion in '612/599' started by Doctor Mark, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    The steering column surround on my 599 has gotten sticky. How is it removed for refinishing? I removed the 2 srews and 1 nut from the bottom section but still not wanting to separate top from bottom and do not want to force it and damage the side tabs.
    Thank you

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mark - I will post some photos of the parts later - perhaps that will help you.

I also have the 599 WSM so if you need it, send me an email (not PM, email please).

Thanks.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If similar to the 612, which is highly likely, additionally:
    1. The top and bottom pieces have taps locking them together - took some force to split them...
    2. The top part has a leather cover that attaches to the underside of the instrument cluster with 4 screws - not easy to get to...

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Jes,

Yes - the 599 and 612 are the same.

Mark - looks like these guys provided what you need. If you need anything else, let me know.

6. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Many thanks for the help. Will either give it a go or let the dealer do it. I did the column in my CS without too much pain but it was not a fun experience in the heat of an Atlanta summer. I always feel a little timid to use too much force since in the past that has often not only not provided the best outcome but often an "oh s--t" moment. Those tabs can snap quite easily if I recall.