612 dash nightmare | FerrariChat

612 dash nightmare

Discussion in '612/599' started by m5shiv, Jun 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #1 m5shiv, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Folks,

This thread is really for Ferrari apologists who can't handle the fact that some of the workmanship and/or techniques used by our beloved factory are total crap and what we have to suffer as enthusiasts to restore our cars to better than factory.

This is my 2008 612. Always garaged. Never parked in the sun. Ever.

I woke up one morning to find my dash went BOOM. Plus the instrument pod leather was sagging, plus plus the beautiful quilted headliner was sagging.

So it all had to come out.

This is what it takes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flint Ironstag likes this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Cva71 likes this.
  3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Are you refinishing all the plastic parts while it is all apart...? likely just a matter of time. I just did most interior parts and dash on my 2007 HGTC 612 for the same dash issue as you - same thing, one day the leather had started pulling, despite being garaged. I did the disassembly and reassembly myself and had Dave (StickyRX) refinish plastic parts - a lot of work but not too bad - I put pics on here somewhere.

HKS479 likes this.
  4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    My plastic parts are in good shape, but now that you've said it, I'm considering it.

Can you give me a ballpark on the StickyRX cost for all the pieces you did ?

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Email or call Dave - it depends heavily on what you send in. It isn't cheap, but workmanship is excellent. I had a few sticky bits, some that showed early signs, and some that showed no signs. As I started to get sensitized towards the stickiness it became clear that most were at stages of the sticky process - I attempted a preemptive strike with things already coming apart...

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Jes :)

Shiv - got your PM and sent one back ;)

7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The only place I see badness is the trunk/fuel release switches. A little on the Bose buttons. Don't know if those can be fixed by Dave. I've sent him a PM.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #9 ar4me, Jun 14, 2017
    Anything can be fixed. He did my Bose head unit - same as yours. Like new :)

Oh, and check the mesh under the Bose - oddly, that was probably the most sticky part on my car.

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Dang. That's lovely.

11. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

One question:
    Do you usually treat the leather? If yes, with which products?

I ask this because the same started happening with my car's leather... from the moment I started treating it more often.

(Also my car is garage stored, climate controlled)

Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know . But I'm afraid the liquid treatment damages the glue beneath the leather. Or that once the liquid dries, the leather loses its stability ??

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I treated it maybe twice over the last several years with Lexol.

The leather and interior guy who did my work (Canepa Design) said that the glue they use is crap. But the glue is used to attach the foam and then also to the leather. There is no way the "conditioner" can reach the glue under the foam and no way can it reach the glue on the headliner. So, I don't buy the theory.

Most of the work was removing the foam according to him.

We are using 3M 08090 for the headliner reinstall.

BTW, the original dash vent plastic pieces were bent out of shape too and were replaced. That was my first warning sign, the edges start to curl up.

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #13 ar4me, Jun 14, 2017
  14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Did you re glue your headliner ?

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was advised by the dealer when the car was new to never mess with the leather in my 612 and I never have. No issues.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    IMO, Lexol is garbage. The only conditioner worth a damn is Leatherique.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Me? No, my headliner was/is fine - didn't need to be redone.

18. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    WoW - sorry you had to go through this. When I was looking to purchase a 612, I got see first-hand a horrible case where the leather dash had completely pulled away. I also understand this can happen on the rear shelf as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the leather in my 07 612 stays true.

19. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FWIW, only heavily padded dashes are exempt (maybe) from this. It has nothing to do with poor technique, poor workmanship or even the quality of glue. Ferrari knows very well how to upholster a car in leather and do a fine job. Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, BMW, etc. and yes, even Porsche have leather shrinkage problems. It's the material that we owners demand, despite the fact that this is one of the long term properties making it unsuitable for use in this situation if you want it to last. This is why Porsche (and others) does not cover their dashes, rear shelves, or door caps in leather unless requested.

As far as conditioner goes, it may help to minimize leather shrinking, or it may not, but it has nothing to do with the glue.

20. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I beg to differ. My 2005 CL 65 AMG has a very lovely stitched leather dash and it shows no signs of wear or problems. My neighbor has a "designo" interior on his newer 2010 CL65 and it is perfect and he parks his car in the sun without a second thought. But it's ok, you can see the exact words I opened this thread with.

21. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    And cls, what's the excuse for the sagging headliner ?

22. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I haven't read all of the above, but I will say this:

It's total JOKE that they make it so difficult to replace these things. I did a dash on my 456 and I went through the same process. My previous 612's dash popped and looked identical to your pix, and I fortunately traded it in that season.

My service shop says that 458's are quite a bit unimmaginably worse. Can you imagine?

They fully realize that these dashes won't last and are a maintenance item; you'd think they'd provide for their replacement by making the dash covers easily removable.

It's a terrible way to treat your customers and it just makes the cars more vulnerable to other issues given that so much of the car has to be taken apart and then reconstructed.

I'm not the first, nor the last to complain- I wish they'd hear us...

23. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    MBTex. That's what my Designo G had.
    https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/does-your-mercedes-benz-have-leather-seats-surprising-truth
    Also heavier padding.
    But they're not immune. You can search Benzworld and find the same problem if the dash is leather.
    Leather dash - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Cars with leather panel headliners have problems. There's no manufacturer that is immune to it. Sagging headliners are a common problem on many cars of various designs:
    Headline Removal - Mercedes-Benz Forum

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My fabric headliner in my Maserati GT is falling down too. I'm told the glue / foam disintegrates over time... :(

I ordered some black thumb tacks for now (no joke)...

25. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    The dash on my 05 612 looks exactly the same as yours... Eventually they all do it.

Do the buttons too, mine wer fine until last year but now they are an absolute mess and the dealer tried to fix them and made them even worse.