599 battery replacement | FerrariChat

599 battery replacement

Discussion in '612/599' started by afwrench, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I seems crazy to have ask this after having pulled wrenches for almost 50 years but as an old dog learning new tricks I wish to tread lightly. Any pitfalls /procedures to replacing the batt in a 2007 599? Thanks for schooling the old guy. Mike

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Terry. Must also follow the startup/reboot program if I am right. Any concerns with an immobilizer? Your time is most appreciated.Mike

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- On the later Ferraris, not as big an issue, and it does not affect the alarm/immobilizer. If you use this procedure, it will smooth out the updates the system makes, but if you just drive her two or three time, the same thing will happen.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.
    Reconnect disconnect switch.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required.

5. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Terry, I know that I am not alone in how much your patient advise and input is appreciated.I have vast experience in the pre-electronic automotive world but I like to tread lightly into unknown waters.My very best regards ,Mike PS if you look on page 528 of Garage Pics you can see some of the earlier stuff that keeps me busy

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Give me a url and I will take a look. I have my post numbers per page maxed out, so my garage page count stops at about 15.

7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 afwrench, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Hi Terry, posted the pics of some of my "fleet".Post #7 above. Porsche 912 engine rebuild underway as a summer project. mike

8. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Perfect timing for me on this thread. What is the best replacement battery to use on the 599? I'm in the US. Any great places to mailorder from, or should I just order from a local Firestone store (or the equivalent)? Thanks.

Also, what battery charger would everyone recommend? I'd like to set one up with a quick-connect in the trunk.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks Terry. Just ordered an Interstate MT7-34R from a local Firestone store. Think I'm also going to order a Ctek charger with adapter cord so I can quickly/easily plug into port in my trunk. Ferrari succeeded in making it very difficult to jump/recharge a dead battery in the 599. The necessity to remove a glued-in trim/carpet panel for battery access is only the tip of the iceberg. Hoping this setup will make things much easier in the rare event of a future dead battery.

11. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    I've got a Ctek 7002 and a Ferrari adapter on the way. Have a quick question about the proper protocol for recharging a dead battery while battery is still in the car. Just want to make sure I don't inadvertently screw up any ecu's, etc.

If I turn off the battery shut-off switch, does this also disconnect the charging port from the battery, or can I still charge the battery through the charging port while cut-off switch is off and the battery is in the car? Does this make sense? Trying to figure out if I can charge the battery through the factory charging port while battery power is isolated from car via shut-off switch.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- If you are just using one of the small chargers/maintainers like a CTEK, no reason to turn off the disconnect switch, but it may not work. If you are using a full size charger, I would use the disconnect switch and attach directly to the battery cables, even if it is a pain. Those connectors were not designed to take a whole lot of juice.

13. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks Terry.

14. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    After cold spell in Houston and not using the car for a week or so over the holidays, my 599 battery was as dead as a dodo. Removed it, topped up the electrolyte with distilled water up to top of cells - it was pretty dry, not been checked for 3 years (=age of battery). Recharged on 2A for 8h, then 6A for 10h, using a Walmart Smartcharger. My battery tester finally showed 100% full and 3 milliohms resistance and 12.55V ( using CCA =800).
    Did not try any desulfator chargers - might have been a good idea.
    Replaced battery and it started first time. Some issues with door and trunk locks that went away after a few key fob presses (plus engine off then restart).

Put the diagnostic tool on, showed about 10 spurious faults saved in the history including voltage below 10v, door locks and windows, ignition faults, etc. Cleared the faults out, idled the car (1000 then 2000 rpm) for 5 mins to relearn engine tuning parameters then gentle drive for 5 mins. Reset radio security code, reset side mirror positions - they had moved.
    Clearing the faults with a scan tool is not essential but it gives you a clear baseline for the future. Nice to see "Clear OK" on startup. Scantool is Launch Tech website www.x431.com bought on ebay for $500 three years ago, make sure it handles Ferraris before you buy.

Then had fun,
    Hope this helps,
    Ron

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ron- I would replace that battery with a good AGM model. I never give a battery a second chance.

Skidkid likes this.
  16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly. Not that hard to do and not that expensive either.

17. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    Hello Ron. Could you please share a pic of your Launch X431? I'll be buying one of these soon and I'm looking for a recommendation on which model (there are several) to shop for. Thank you.

18. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Launch X431 Pros mini

For models up to the F12

Daniel

Chindit likes this.
  19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Normally i should sell mine, because no software for the 812.
    So i have no use for that, except my 2005 Grand Cherokee